Thread: Best way to draw mountains

Guild Novice
    Somewhere on a small blue planet, where it snows, rains and hails most of the year.

Help Best way to draw mountains

This is a little confusing. I am not sure the right way to title this. I have two problems. First, the other day my tablet stopped working as I was map-making, actually. I know, tears. So now I am down to my ipad with procreate, or sketchbook, or my mouse and photshop.

I was following along a tutorial from youtube, and I liked the mountains he made. However, from the comments, a lot of people had trouble with his mountains. Something about the brush settings, I think. I couldn't get the same result either, but wasn't sure if that had to do with the fact I am using a mouse and had no pressure sensitivity.

So, my question is how do I make mountains in an atless / satalight style map with procreate????

I am not certain if I can link to things outside the forum, but the mountains I tried to make were from a very long set of tuts labled 'Making a Fantasy Map in Photoshop' I really like that style but as far as I can tell there is no way to make an embossed look in procreate. I've attempted making several brushes but its not happening yet. So, does anyone know if it is possible? Or a work around with my mouse on photoshop could work too.

Thanks in advance!

I'm having the same problem.
    I've watched the video you said before but I use an iMac without any pen and the pressure thing is really important to draw a good mountain now I'm kinda lost.

I saw this map and tried to replicate the hills and mountains but still no ideia how they did it, if someone know how to, please enlight us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOAL.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	112262

I have explanations for both a realistic, and a stylized type of mountain.

If you wish to make realistic work, you can do with either topography or ridgeline. With topography, it's self evident. You draw circles going up with the height values of each mountain. With the ridgeline effect, you do something similar. You draw a series of ridgelines going along the length of the mountain ridge, with offshoots where appropriate. Then, you gently pencil a few topography layers, then shade each one as appropriate.

With a more stylized look, you draw triangles. There's a load of approaches you might want to take. My personal favorite is creating a line down the middle of each mountain, then you shade one half, on the opposite side of the light.

Unfortunately, I only have an example of the latter, but I hope I helped in some way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (1).png 
Views:	69 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	114002