Thread: Help with Wilbur basics

Default Help with Wilbur basics

Happy New Year!

Can anyone please advise, or point me in the direction of help, regarding Wilbur and the generation of different greyscale raster images (16bit pngs, ideally).

I'm writing a tutorial, partly for my own benefit, and I've found having to run "Filter > Mathematical > Span" on every imported png a little furtstrating.
    I'd like to be able to save out the respanned png so I can work on it later, or after a Wilbur crash.

I think an export of the respanned png file might be the solution?

Many Thanks,

Runninghead

ps- I can't find an export or save as option that saves an altered map from Wilbur (at least not one that doesn't crash Wilbur when you try to reopen it).

The best way to preserve the current Wilbur terrain state is to use the Wilbur's MDR file format. It stores a header and a raw floating-point raster that precisely represents Wilbur's internal encoding for altitudes and heightfield edges. It's not a terribly compact format, taking 1024 + 4* width * height bytes to store on disk, but it will get you back exactly what you asked it to save.

With regards to the crashes, what version of Wilbur are you using, what operating system, and what file type?

A good set of tutorials for Wilbur can be found on the Wilbur home ( http://www.fracterra.com/software.html under "Tutorials" ) as well as https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29412 here at the guild.
    Last edited by waldronate; 12-28-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks Waldronate, I use Wilbur 1-85 in Wine on a 2013 Mac running OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan.
    I have stopped the crashes by setting undo to 2 instead of 8 but I think the problem was really the size of my 16bit Greyscale png.
    I reduced the original 4960px X 3496px by 50% and it hasn't crashed since.

The first stage of my process is complete- I have a Photoshop action that performs the generation of fairly realistic terrain for feeding in to Wilbur where I use mainly Span, Incise FLow and Precipitation to erode it.

Phase 2 turns it in to this sort of illustration, but it's not satisfactory yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lara map 4 del.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	6.27 MB 
ID:	112316
    Many thanks for all your hard work Waldronate. Happy New Year