Thread: Traukenheim

Map Traukenheim

Here is the finished product of four months of work. My apologies that there was not an WIP thread for this one, it is for a tabletop game that i'm hosting with my friends. They specifically asked me not to post the map online so that they did not spoil it before the show starts. But now since it is starting tomorrow I can at least leave the finished map here for you to see. I still have many of my WIP screenshots saved just in case anybody wanted to see it.

Everything was drawn using Gimp and a wacom tablet, no tiles or brush sets here.

Hope you like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Traukenheim.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	112415

I dig it! It has a very own flavor and atmosphere. If you want to post up the WIP stuff, i know i'd take a look at it for sure.
    Also, if you are willing, tell us a bit about the setting and it's history and its cultures. I'm a p&p roleplayer myself and am always interested in homebrew worlds. What kind of system do you use?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I can't spoil too much of the history and cultures of the world. You'd just have to watch the show for that, which we will be streaming on twitch as well as uploading to youtube. But I can say that we are using D&D 5e, most of the group has recently transitioned over from Pathfinder. I designed the world ground-up myself with the idea of making a plausible "ecosystem" of cultures, and political boundaries.

I wanted each city to feel completely unique both on the map and in game. I wanted the map to give as much interesting info as possible about a given location through just imagery and it's name. For example, Linquinos is one of the few major cities that does not have an outer wall. It is instead guarded by a natural barrier, the cliff to the great collapse, and several towers with some sort of magic enchantment. I'd also like to point out the river that passes through it heads directly into the Ictucoba morass and to the previous city "Old Linqui" which is now submerged. Perhaps there is a reason "The Great Collapse" is so close to a city in which magic is studied so fervently.

The Crown of the Divine has never been climbed to its summit, its height is too much for any one climber to bear. Not only that, but it is regularly patrolled by the elves of Eleriquidi's Shroud. They do not take kindly to tresspasses on their holy land, and The Ever-guardian Mylmatharion never sleeps in his vigil. Although a ceasefire was made between Linquinos and Mylmatharion's Elves, none but the Elves may enter the woods. This secrecy only feeds the scholars curiosity as to what the shroud hides under its boughs.

I'm not sure if I can post the WIP stuff in this thread. Do I have to start a new WIP thread for that? Even though the map is already finished?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumtheo View Post
    I'm not sure if I can post the WIP stuff in this thread. Do I have to start a new WIP thread for that? Even though the map is already finished?
    You can post the wip stuff here, if you want. Most choose to do wips as separate, but there's no rule saying you have to.
    Nice work, by the way.

Very nice! I've never thought to use a purple-ish hue for an ocean color, but it looks amazing! Really digging the tones used here in general.

One thing I notice, is that the part of the lineart is super thick compared to other parts. For the coastline it's not bad, but for the mountains it looks a little too inconsistent with the other features for my taste. The finer cities and forests look really awesome, and I bet they would benefit from having the mountains go with them a little better. Other than that, a fine map! I hope it serves you and your players well.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Ah, a twitch show. I didn't get that out of your opening post, sorry. Interesting! Do you have a name or twitter account for your streaming business? I'd take a look, but probably via youtube when it is uploaded (most streamers seem to live in the US of A or if not, stream with USA people in mind, which means the streaming-timeslots are suboptimal for me).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

My apologies for not responding sooner, i've been quite busy preparing episodes for the show and with some of the technical issues i've been coming up against. With those being resolved currently, I just noticed that I had replies, apparently my e-mail has marked the guild as spam... : (
    Yes, I do like the hue I chose for the water, I wanted it to feel deep without being overpowering of the lighter color scheme on land. I would also agree about the mountains Kellerica, they were the first feature i had drawn for the map so I was still feeling out what I wanted the end product to look like. After I had redone the coast and started with the rivers and forests I had switched to using a smaller brush size as well as an "acrylic" brush shape. But my deadline was coming up and I had other work to be done so I had to keep it. There is a glimmer of hope however, since I am currently re-drawing certain smaller sections of this map in a sort of, zoomed in look at these areas. That way I can show a bit more detail as well as include things that were previously too small to see on the larger continental map. I will be able to post that as it comes along on the guild unlike this first map.

Eilathen, thanks for the interest! I really do appreciate it. The show is called (Quest Vault) and yes I am in the USA, so my streaming time is not europe friendly, the equivalent of 3am your time. However you are welcome to watch the videos, I hope you enjoy them.

Sorry to go off topic once more: Thanks, Lumtheo. Can you tell me where to find your videos? Do you have a youtube channel as well (i prefer yt to twitch for VoD)?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

The Youtube channel is not set up yet, but it will have the same name as the show.