Thread: Regional Fantasy Map

Default Regional Fantasy Map

Quick commission from an online friend for a map of his region.
    Loosely based it on The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind style per request. Omitted most of the finer details and made a tree brush to conserve time.
    Project was done in GIMP; mostly old fashion freehand drawing. Excited to do another map finally; but mostly excited it inspired me to work on my conworld project again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024x1365-TC-Carto.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1,000.8 KB 
ID:	112551
    Some Workflow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024x1365-TC-WF.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	640.5 KB 
ID:	112552
    Last edited by LordIndy; 01-09-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Very nice. The coastlines look maybe a little too clean to me, but they do work well with this style. The whole piece has a very consistent look to it that I like.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Nice work. At first glance, I thought this map seemed simple in its two-dimensionality, but the more I look at it, the more I like it! It does a great job at the actual purpose of a map, clearly indicating where things are and what they are. I've been thinking a little lately about doing something similar. Great job on the early autumn colors, too - looks like it's about harvest time!

Thanks for all the compliments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    The coastlines look maybe a little too clean to me
    Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    seemed simple in its two-dimensionality
    Funny thing is I think If I had spent the time and mimicked the coastline style more consistently with the original style, both of those things would have turned out differently.

Original Morrowind map style:

Just so I'm clear - my first impression came from the thumbnail. Once I zoomed in and got the full view, I really enjoyed the little details. I wouldn't do much, if anything, to change it!