Thread: Ambria

Map Ambria

Hello everyone,

New cartographer here. I have spend some time lately designing my first map for my (also first) upcoming D&D campaign as a DM. While researching online for tutorials and such, I found this place and all its ressources - which has been great for inspiration ! So I though it would be fit to submit what I consider to be the final rendering, and maybe have some feedback. So without further ado, here it is :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMBRIA2500.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	112431

Any comments are welcome, I am eager to know what you think about it. If you have any questions about it, I would be glad to answer them as best as I can.

Sincerly,
    Fate

Very nice for a first map!

I like the icons used here, and the minimal color scheme works well. One thing I notice immediately is how the northern forest area has some ridiculously large trees compared to the rest of the map. The icons resolution gets more blurry the more you scale them up, and even if the resolution was large enough I think you should always keep the size of singular element consistent within themselves on a map, so no significantly larger trees than other trees unless you have a specific reason for doing so. The good part about digital software is that you can replicate and multiply the things you've already done if you get sick of filling up a large area of said things, which is what I'm assuming happened here. This is also more of a personal preference, but I usually like to leave a little breathing room between the coastline and terrain elements - not a lot, this doesn't mean you can't have the terrain hug the coastline, but just leave like a 5-10 pixel gap in between. Here you have a few instances where the coastline actually cuts a tree in half.

Like I said, not bad at all for a first map. No river violations either, which is exceptionally good for a first timer You're certainly on the right track, keep at it!

Oh, and welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.