Thread: Winter Village, my first finished overview map

Default Winter Village, my first finished overview map

Hello everyone!

I made an overvier map of a village in winter. Figured it would be fitting for this time of year. Im working on a version in which the roofs are gone and every house will have an interior. Let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winter village.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	6.59 MB 
ID:	112326
    Hobbyist mapmaker. Mostly battlemaps!
    With a Patreon if you want more!

It's quite pleasant.

Not sure if you want any critiques or not.

Nice' how did you create this?

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    It's quite pleasant.

Not sure if you want any critiques or not.
    Yes, of course! Critiques are always welcome.

Ok. So when creating a snow map you have to keep in mind the wear of the snow since the last fall and keep it consistent. For instance if people have cut down trees and left a stump and the stump doesn't have snow on it, then the snow around the tree will also be disturbed. That is a minor point. A more noticeable point is that wells would almost always have trails except perhaps for just after a very heavy fall. The other two things I noticed is a lack of covered or uncovered wood piles and trails to them (each house would probably require four pickup truck loads or more. I have a friend here who heats his house with wood from his carpentry business, he basically ends up filling more than half his car park during the summer and that plus the scraps still being produced during cold months lasts him the winter with no room to spare and in a country with no snow generally). People will move the wood around during the winter, they'll have a pile inside the house, a covered pile right by the house with as much as they can fit and keep reasonably dry, and probably another pile wherever they split wood.

The last thing I notice is the lack of outhouses. Even with bedpans, in any pre-industrial plumbing society, outhouses are going to be a thing. Probably not one for every house, but still probably a few.

Nice work for a first piece! Falconius made some good points, and I'd maybe add that the shadows to the wall are a little too large and fuzzy to really convey what they are supposed to be, but it's still a very pleasing little map. Keep at it!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Ok. So when creating a snow map you have to keep in mind the wear of the snow since the last fall and keep it consistent. For instance if people have cut down trees and left a stump and the stump doesn't have snow on it, then the snow around the tree will also be disturbed. That is a minor point. A more noticeable point is that wells would almost always have trails except perhaps for just after a very heavy fall. The other two things I noticed is a lack of covered or uncovered wood piles and trails to them (each house would probably require four pickup truck loads or more. I have a friend here who heats his house with wood from his carpentry business, he basically ends up filling more than half his car park during the summer and that plus the scraps still being produced during cold months lasts him the winter with no room to spare and in a country with no snow generally). People will move the wood around during the winter, they'll have a pile inside the house, a covered pile right by the house with as much as they can fit and keep reasonably dry, and probably another pile wherever they split wood.

The last thing I notice is the lack of outhouses. Even with bedpans, in any pre-industrial plumbing society, outhouses are going to be a thing. Probably not one for every house, but still probably a few.
    Those are some really nice points! Thank you. Im going to keep those in mind for sure. For the interior map im maping each house does have a small pile of wood.. but ye, they would need tons more. And time to make some outhouses! Ill be looking at some reference material of what you mean with how snow falls.

I think this has a great wintery feel. I honestly don’t mind possible inconsistencies with snow. Too much work with details can be a bad thing as well, but it all depends what you are aiming for I guess.

Great work.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Guild Apprentice S. E. Davidson's Avatar

Very nice! I'd like to start doing some overview maps as well. I thought the snowfall was well executed. Thanks for sharing!