Thread: D&D Battlemap - Castle Town square invaded by giant plant life

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default D&D Battlemap - Castle Town square invaded by giant plant life

Hi everybody! I have a rather unusual map request I'm hoping somebody can help me with.

Evey year, I run a special one-shot D&D campaign for an old gamer friend who visit from out of state. It's the only chance we get to game with him, so I try to make the event pretty special. This year I have a very specific opening encounter in mind, one that would really benefit from having a custom map printed. We will likely sign it and give it to our friend as a souvenir, so I'd love it to be a beautiful art piece as well as a game map.

Setting:
    The game happens to be set in an iteration of the Legend of Zelda setting, but the map would not include any identifying material from the series. Consider it a style example.

Design Concept:
    This is the main square of the town surrounding the royal family's castle, a fairly typical european-fantasy-JRPG style. Normally it is bright, elegant and pristine, inappropriately idyllic in the way that "the good kingdom" from any classic console RPG tends to be. Last night the square was decked out for a celebration that would include markets, entertainment, street food, and so forth. Overnight, however, a bizarre assortment of gigantic jungle plants have sprung forth, tearing up the streets, crushing buildings and creating general chaos.

The map would convey a sense of sudden an invasive growth, and the surreal sight of waking up to find a jungle outside your window. It would also provide terrain-based battle features, such as placing rubble and giant vines to impede character movement.

I would pay extra for a multi-layered map which featured an intact version of the castle square, if you think you'd be up for that. I am in love with the idea of printing both, and simply sweeping the intact one off the table before it even gets used.

Style:
    I'm looking for a map that is not overtly cartoonish, but leans away from realistic. I would prefer a stylised illustrated look, whether it is painterly or lined. Thinking of the background art from modern platformer games or visual novels or anime may give you a good idea of what I'm looking for.

I'm definitely not after 3D renders or photorealism; they are just not my cup of tea.

Technical:
    1. 300 dpi minimum, full colour, uncompressed or minimal compression (100% quality JPEG at least). Will be printed to vinyl for physical table use.
    2. Most common image formats are fine, or PDF also
    3. This is a D&D battlemap, so being scaled/designed around a 1"x1" grid is a necessity
    4. For process, I am mostly hands-off, but I expect at least one chance to take a look at a rough draft/sketch and provide feedback.

Copyright:
    You can retain all rights to the map, as long as I am free to share, reproduce and tweak it for personal use.

Deadline:
    I need a digital file in time to get it printed for game weekend (Feb 08-10). I would rather receive it with a week or more to spare, but the absolute deadline would be Feb 03 (after which printing in time would likely be impossible).

Payment:
    Please contact me with your rates.

Ideally, I'm looking for a better price in exchange for you retaining the freedom to monetise the finished map (DTRPG, Patreon, whatever you normally use to make money from your work). I don't know how practical this is given the specificity of the map, however, so please be candid in addressing that.

Fox Lee
    fox@invincible.ink (preferred)
    @MunchlaxRegrets on Twitter
    www.invincible.ink

THanks for reading, and please share this if you know somebody who would be interested :)
    Last edited by Fox Lee; 01-16-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Thank you to everybody who messaged me! I've chosen somebody to work on the map, so marking this as taken now (if I can work out how). I really appreciate all your offers!