Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomb of Aznurhradi

Splendid... I love this muted color palette .

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You've posted so much great stuff the past couple of months I can't keep up (and I've been sadly lacking on commenting & giving out rep). What can I say? You are a master craftsman, not just of the maps themselves, but the imagination and lore that goes into the background.

The sandy limestone look is really amazing ! Also, the presence of so many pottery in this tomb and the stonework screams ancient Egypt or Babylonian/Akkadian era so, I guess you nailed it. And, I won't say it again as I said it a lot before but, I'd love to read those maps and their stories compiled in a book (...). I know what you already said but I'd like to point to one of Guillaume Tavernier's project where he just drew maps with very little backstory (Borth and his Artbook). I'm convinced that with your amazing skillz, you'd not need much backstory, the maps tell themselves. But I won't say it again ... until next time

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Splendid... I love this muted color palette .
    Thanks Ilanthar
    I'm trying to break out of some of my habits and color schemes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You've posted so much great stuff the past couple of months I can't keep up (and I've been sadly lacking on commenting & giving out rep). What can I say? You are a master craftsman, not just of the maps themselves, but the imagination and lore that goes into the background.
    Thanks D
    Yeah, it's hard to keep on top of all the things posted here. I lose track too.
    I'm trying to write better stories, so have been watching some lectures.
    It will help, but it's gonna be slow plodding for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The sandy limestone look is really amazing ! Also, the presence of so many pottery in this tomb and the stonework screams ancient Egypt or Babylonian/Akkadian era so, I guess you nailed it. And, I won't say it again as I said it a lot before but, I'd love to read those maps and their stories compiled in a book (...). I know what you already said but I'd like to point to one of Guillaume Tavernier's project where he just drew maps with very little backstory (Borth and his Artbook). I'm convinced that with your amazing skillz, you'd not need much backstory, the maps tell themselves. But I won't say it again ... until next time
    You hit it right at the mark.
    A client wanted some dungeons in a semi-egyptian environment.
    This and another were me trying out some sketch styles.
    That's part of why I tried soemthing different with the color.
    It was going to be a parchment look. I'm glad it morphed into this.

Books. sigh... I Can't decide what I'm going to do first.
    I sketched up some page thumbnails for a picture book the other day.
    Maybe 32-50 pages... but, idk..
    when I do the market analysis stuff - i'm just not even sure who the target audience is for it.
    Then there's issues with how amazon treats picture books and the kindle.
    And their print on demand service, Createspace' apparently is rather bad at color, quality, and such.
    I also still need to learn how I have to process and deal with VAT in EU, which is no small task.
    But, once I figure out how and what I have to do for that, I may start into it in earnest.

I had thought to start a discussion here on the Guild to see if anyone had good solid knowledge to share about how someone in the US has to do the EU vat stuff.

I'm afraid I cannot really help you but I know there is a multinational crowdfunding platform dedicated to game material (Guillaume Tavernier already did some crowdfunding campaigns there with a book that's been printed both in French and in English. Kickstarter would be a good option too (better than Amazon but I'm a ferociously anti-Amazon guy) but these options would mean you have to find a printer that'll respect your art. I've got some contacts here in France in publishing companies, if you have precise questions, I can try and get some answers for you this way. Partnership with a publishing company could also be an idea. Akae recently crowdfunded a game with a French company. Steffen Brand who works for Ulisses Spiele could be a good counsel too. My two cents.

Amazing map. The combination of compact layout and assorted debris gives it a real-world feel.

What a gorgeous map and great backstory! Please tell us there is more to this to come. I need to see where those spiral stairs lead to!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperGriffin View Post
    Amazing map. The combination of compact layout and assorted debris gives it a real-world feel.
    Thanks Griffin
    Quote Originally Posted by Landstrider View Post
    What a gorgeous map and great backstory! Please tell us there is more to this to come. I need to see where those spiral stairs lead to!
    Thanks Landstrider
    Somewhere dangerous, I'd imagine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12