Thread: Copyright non Copyright on a map?

Default Copyright non Copyright on a map?

How much of a difference does it add when someone asks you a full copyright on image and how you handle that?
    what's the % + or - ? How you manage that?

I can't find the thread about this but if I remember correctly, if the client asks for FULL RIGHTS It was recommended to charge double.
    Of course this is just a general tip as the price could go higher or lower depending on the kind of project and the client.

Full right means you can't sell the map to someone else, so the client has to pay an extra to compensate.

I value intellectual property a lot ! I usually ask four times the base price of the map for full copyrights.

Is it necessary to add potential clients usually don't like it ?

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum Contracts 101 - Resource Guide for Artists

The copyright issue is discussed in more detail in post #19

That thread addresses Unites States laws, but it's my understanding that European intellectual property rights laws are very similar.

Do you have a template for those things?

Just my two cents worth, giving someone full copyright is a major thing. It means you are signing ALL of your rights away for that piece. In a way, you can't even claim you made it. It becomes their property entirely. That means you wouldn't be able to post it here, you wouldn't be able to add it to your portfolio, and you can't share it, sell it, or use it for anything else.

I would charge a very steep price indeed, if the client wanted me to give over all of my rights to something I put my blood, sweat and tears into.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

I would agree that generaly speaking double price is a minimum you should go for full copyright sell.

The thing is clients usually back out after hearing the price. They also don't realize that they don't need full copyrights most of the time.
    If they need a map for a book, rpg adventure, game etc. All they need are two rights, which are reproduce and distribute rights (sometimes also make derivatives). Those two rights are not all rights, so the price will go down. Instead of buying the rights, they can license them for a period of time, which also lowers the price. Lastly if they don't want others to use the map, they can license those rights exclusively. This is usually the best option for both parties.
    Last edited by Voolf; 02-24-2019 at 05:31 AM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Just my two cents worth, giving someone full copyright is a major thing. It means you are signing ALL of your rights away for that piece. In a way, you can't even claim you made it. It becomes their property entirely. That means you wouldn't be able to post it here, you wouldn't be able to add it to your portfolio, and you can't share it, sell it, or use it for anything else.
    No, they can't claim that they are the author.
    Also, from what I noticed, they can set certain conditions but rarely forbid you to display it in your portfolio or share it online.
    They usually limit the maximum resolution of the map unless you buy it.

To clear this up - if you do a work-for-hire contract, that is in effect as if you never were the creator.
    The client would effectively be the creator. But aside form that type of agreement, you are the creator in pretty much all other contexts.
    That includes when you sell full rights to someone. But, to be fair, you should make sure they agree to right of attribution.
    You should also make clear your right to show your work online and offline.
    Make sure all conditions are stated at the time of signing.
    Some clients will try to impose conditions later.
    If it wasn't stated in the agreement, then it is not valid.

That said, once a person has full copyright, they may never bother to state that you created it.
    Some even try to remove your name from the work. This has happened.
    There really is not a lot you can do, unless you have unlimited legal funds.

In most cases, you really shouldn't sell full copyright.
    But many times you may not foresee any other use for the map.
    Evenso, you should still charge for it. And charge fairly.
    Many clients will decline having to pay the fair market percentage.
    This is just part of the business of negotiating.

Don't be afraid to lose a client who doesn't value you enough to pay you fairly.