Thread: Teston

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Excellent. Report back to HQ when you begin fortfying!
    Carry on soldier.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Wip

okay , spent another couple of hours working on Post IV and V. Added Rocky terrain and Elevation shadows for the illusion of height and placed my light source. Have yet to add the shadows thrown by it, but that will be next I think. I also changed the res to 175, in the hope that it will help.

Besides the shadows I think I need to:

-Work just a bit more on the Heights to make them stand out more

-Redo some of the roads and streams to make them match better with the new terrain

-I also need a way to merge the elevation shadows down into one layer, but that can wait til later. :edit: the prob I have with the merge down right now is that I lose the effect of the previous layer :endedit:

Comments & critiques?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teston2.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	10350  
    Last edited by Korash; 02-13-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is looking great and I'm not just blowin smoke when I say that I'm keepin my eye on this...it rocks so far. As far as the merge...do you have 2 or more shadow layers? If they have different blending modes then those modes can get lost when merging. Personally, I just leave mine alone, but since each layer takes a chunk of memory with it I can see why the need for the merge.

Try this to see if it helps: click on the first shadow layer, create a new layer, link it to that first shadow layer, move the new layer under that first shadow layer, click on the shadow layer then merge down...this will remove layer styles (blending modes and opacity count as layer styles) while preserving the look. Do the same steps for other shadow layers then merge them together.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

thanks for the complements It is very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    As far as the merge...do you have 2 or more shadow layers? If they have different blending modes then those modes can get lost when merging. Personally, I just leave mine alone, but since each layer takes a chunk of memory with it I can see why the need for the merge.
    No Kidding, 5 layers filled with black, @ ~10% opac and I am looking at over 120 meg of additional size in working memory demand. Slooooooows thiiiiings doooooown just a tad. Might have something to do with a 2kx2k px picture as well

Try this to see if it helps: click on the first shadow layer, create a new layer, link it to that first shadow layer, move the new layer under that first shadow layer, click on the shadow layer then merge down...this will remove layer styles (blending modes and opacity count as layer styles) while preserving the look. Do the same steps for other shadow layers then merge them together.
    I don't have time to try this atm, but I will later if I can figure out how to "link" layers. Not too sure I want to merge before I am satisfied with the elevation shadows, which I am not yet.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Wip Latest WIP

Okay, spent another hour adding shadows based on the sun "position" (top right). Comments and/or critiques?

@ Ascension - I am using gimp, and I have no clue how to "link" layers. I looked through the commands but I didn't see it if it is available.

@ Hoel - Got 2 high points for the catapults and am thinking of some strategically placed ballistas to shoot along some of the larger gully's.

? for people = how do you place a bevel and/or drop shadow in Gimp. I am at the stage in the tut to start working on the buildings and Drop shadow is the next step.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teston3.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	10488  

Wow, that's marvellous terrain! Very good job, have some rep!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sorry, my bad...thought it was photoshop. Disregard what I said earlier Looks killer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps