Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice View Post
I was only wondering... is there a reason why the city seems to avoid the main river? Excepted in the case of swamps, people would build along a river for the easy access to water as life necessity and as trade route. Moreover the bend in the upper left-hand corner would be ideal as natural fortification.

Or maybe you planned to have the city on a hill overlooking the river and the surrounding flatlands, the better to protect itself? Then the river bends would make perfect sense... Or maybe I should just let you go on with the tutorial and keep my comments for later

Good luck and have fun in your experimentations!
I was thinking along the lines that the town was built on the slopes of a hill/hills that forced the bend in the river. The high point would be on the south west side of town with sharp drops south and west of that, and gentler slopes north and east. Might add a few water falls or cascades on the two small branches starting on that hill, if I ever figure out how to do that.

The more I think of it, the more I think that this town might have arisen from a massive flood that forced people to the high ground, and lasted long enough that permenant structures took root.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel
Looks based on RPG city gen. I do like the river. It's hand drawn, not generated with layer styles and such i presume?
I'll keep an eye on this one.
Where do you place your batteries?
Spot on Hoel! and yup the river was handpainted then blured and smudged to within an inch of its life Most of the time spent on this map so far was on the river enlarging, editing and painting.

As for the batteries, any good Battery Commander will study the lay of the land before placing his guns. As the the "lay" is as flat as steamroller road-kill atm, I will have to get back to you on that one Hoel. Rest assured that I have thought of arty support somewhere.