Thread: How can I make a map for VTT gaming?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Default How can I make a map for VTT gaming?

I'm curious for do's and dont's on making VTT maps. In particular what file sizes, file extension, scale, etc. I draw pen and paper then scan and edit in Corel Paintshop Pro, GIMP, and Krita. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Blog Entries

It depends on the VTT in question but some of them have defined pixels per game feet scaling. Also, I would advise not to put a grid on your maps. The VTT will normally do this for you and if you have one in the bitmap then it will look bad when you also put one on in the VTT.

Most VTTs can take in a JPG or PNG bitmap as the background images, but almost all of them use 32 bit PNG with the alpha channel for the tokens and have tokens with clear backgrounds to use by using the alpha channel as the shape mask. Often people use black for the token background colour and use a little less than totally clear alpha around the base or sides of items to show a bit of shadow. This helps with depth perception.

Oh and talking about depth, often you dont have background maps with perspective or sloping walls because its hard for a VTT to set the play area with them. Normally, the maps are ortho aerial view types. Anything that is likely to be moved you use tokens for and only have truely fixed down stuff on the background.

Hello!
    I've been doing maps for VirtualTableTops since some years.
    I don't believe today there is a real rule, but i wanted to share some information if it helps.

As long the file is used only for screen purposes (not print)
    Stay on 72dpi for resolution. The lighter is the file, the best it is for sharing and storing maps on your personal space.
    Of course for a better quality I would also recommend to raise till 150dpi, maybe 150 for a reasonable quality. This is my point of view.

I agree when it is about not using a grid.
    This might mess things on different platforms because some are using 50pxl per units, some are using 70pxl.

I do prefer for on 70pxl per unit. (for UNIT I mean a SQUARE, the regular 5feet let's say...)

I think the most important thing, in MY Opinion, is to keep everything in scale per unit.
    1 door= 1 unit, 2doors= 1x2 units, a bed shall say inside 2x1 units.. and so on.
    If you have to draw something smaller (maybe a small box, a glass of wine, or whatever) i still suggest to save it in 1 unit (70x70pxl)
    As it is easier to scale down than to scale up.

If you use photoshop, while building your map... maybe you can keep your "placed" elements as advanced elements, always.
    Keep a good backup of your personal library and of course, save them for web, but keep the filesize reasonable

While, if you need to print, i think i got not to much to tell.lol

However i'll be glad to give you more answers if you have more specific questions.
    Also because i'm more confident with photoshop than other softwares you mentioned.
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Guild Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Thank you Redrobes and RenflowerGrapx! Super helpful information I really appreciate it.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

@Redrobes and @Renflowergrapx Definitely useful information. I've been thinking about formatting maps to VTT, it is just a very different, so I have been wondering. The 70x70 for 1 unit is also quite useful to know. Thanks.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19