Hm.
I had a short exchange with Zalring, and he told me that the reason why he doesn't do extensive tutorials is that he is exclusively using GIMP, and had found his methods do not always translate very well into other programs like Photoshop.

I wouldn't have though it that difficult, but it seems he is right.

In my last post, I advised to use the "Render Grid" function to create a hatching pattern. Now it seems that PS doesn't even have such a function to simply create a grid pattern.

Zalring himself told me that he used GIMP's "Newsprint" filter (with the addition of some unspecified other filters) to create his hatching pattern. GIMP's "Newsprint" is similar to Photoshop's "Half tone" function... but it seems PS does only allow for a dotted pattern, not a striped one.

So I have to admit that I am stumped here. I know how to do these things with the tools I use... but I have no clue how to do them in PS.

If there isn't anyone with a better idea, I would advise to download the completely free GIMP, create a pattern there and add it as a layer or pattern in PS.