Thread: Hand drawn tourist map of an island (ca 2 km *6 km)

Default Hand drawn tourist map of an island (ca 2 km *6 km)

This is bit of a different project, a tourist map of a real world island (ca 6 km*2 km). It's not a commission, since it was my own idea and am not getting paid. I'm doing this because the place important to me and doesn't have a up-to-date tourist map. Also, several people in my family run small tourism related businesses in the area so they'll use it.

My plan is to make a map marking the places that tourists might want find and include landmarks and names of roads to make them easier to find. The noteworthy places will be represented by an oversized picture of the building and have a box beside/under them with a number and the name of the place. On the back of the map there will be a list with more information about these places.

The map is drawn from a perspective so that you can see details in the village in the foreground while still seeing places that are 6 km away. For those interested I've also added a map from open street map of the island as a comparison. I'll probably keep it black and white to ensure a good result even when most copies will be printed on home printers. It will also make it easier to do the three different language versions I'll need and make modifications throughout the years.

Comments appreciated! What should I think about when doing a tourist map? Anything that usually annoy you about tourist maps that I should avoid? Any smart ideas how to imply/show distances and scale on a map like this one?

Here's the work in progress (I've drawn it on a A3, which won't fit into my scanner, therefore the two part scan):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosala-skiss.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	638.9 KB 
ID:	113872

Comparison from Open Street Map:

Name:	rosala-osm.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	113873

Note: I'm new to the guild and haven't seen anything like this here so wasn't sure where to put it. If this is in the wrong forum please move it.

That's a really good idea, Shoreline (alright to call ya that?) and a great start to your map. When I travelled around Europe some years ago, I collected the tourist maps from each town I visited, and the ones that had some artistic-ness to them are still in my collection! I'm sure there are many others out there who do the same, so you may be doing a fantastic thing for your island's tourism industry

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    That's a really good idea, Shoreline (alright to call ya that?) and a great start to your map. When I travelled around Europe some years ago, I collected the tourist maps from each town I visited, and the ones that had some artistic-ness to them are still in my collection! I'm sure there are many others out there who do the same, so you may be doing a fantastic thing for your island's tourism industry

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Wingshaw
    Yep, shortening my name is definitely ok, I think someone also used ATS. That's really nice to hear! I have also saved a lot of tourist maps (but they tend to end up hidden away in boxes somewhere), it helps me remember the trip a lot better. Hopefully this will become save-worthy
    If this turns out well it might even work as a postcard (perhaps colored and with less text)

Update: I finished the first inked version. Next I'll fix the small mistakes it has and redraw some of the buildings. Also, I'll add a compass.

Name:	Skannat-v0.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	114317

Oh, it's a lovely perspective you used there, and very well executed : clean, readable and charming. I look forward for the upcoming steps

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh, it's a lovely perspective you used there, and very well executed : clean, readable and charming. I look forward for the upcoming steps
    Thank you! Readable and charming are what I'm aiming for so that's encouraging to hear!

Great! I think the perspective works well and this will be a very good and useful tourist map. Can't wait to see the finished version! I've been thinking about mapping some real world locations too. I think for tourist the traffic connections are the most important, as well as the main sights. I think you have them here already coming.

Have you planned how will you do the different language versions or later edits, as the map is now just hand drawn?

By the way, I have never been to Rosala or other islands south of Kimito/Kemiö, but I think now there would be a good reason to go, because there would be a proper tourist map!
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Neat! Love seeing maps with real world application. Very clear.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

The perspective is awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by Meton View Post
    Great! I think the perspective works well and this will be a very good and useful tourist map. Can't wait to see the finished version! I've been thinking about mapping some real world locations too. I think for tourist the traffic connections are the most important, as well as the main sights. I think you have them here already coming.

Have you planned how will you do the different language versions or later edits, as the map is now just hand drawn?

By the way, I have never been to Rosala or other islands south of Kimito/Kemiö, but I think now there would be a good reason to go, because there would be a proper tourist map!
    Thank you! I'll draw the other language labels separately and then replace them in gimp. Map or no map, it's a beautiful archipelago, you should go! Thank you for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Neat! Love seeing maps with real world application. Very clear.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The perspective is awesome !
    Thank you! The perpective was chosen to best suit the geography and density of points of interest and was really interesting practice.