Thread: The Howling Hound (Isometric)

Default The Howling Hound (Isometric)

Earlier this month I released the Howling Hound. After doing that one I was toying around with the idea of doing an isometric map. At the same time, some people pointed out that there were some design flaws in the map. The only toilet was upstairs and emptied into the dining area. There was no back door which was inconvenient for the staff.

I decided to give the map a round of revisions. I had also been toying with the idea of doing an isometric map so I figured, why not do a second, isometric version of the Howling Hound?

o here it is, the isometric version of Howling Hound. There's now a back door and toilet on the lower floor. On the top floor, the toilet is moved so it empties behind the building, instead of over a dining table. To make this work I had to rearrange the rooms a bit, but apart from some small changes they remained mostly the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Howling Hound Isometric Free CG.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	6.13 MB 
ID:	113647

Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this! I don't get to do this sort of map often and any kind of feedback is welcome!

Absolutely stunning map Daniel.

If you don't mind a small suggestion, have you tried flipping the staircase 180 degrees? Simply so it is easier to identify at a glance. Regardless, a beautiful map.

And here I thought this place had already peaked in its awesomeness! You definitely nailed the perspective here, really well done. Still functional and informative, now with even more charm. Love it!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

All your style and its charm in this map !
    I have to second Pap' on this though, as I had some difficulties to understand the structure at the bottom right was the stairs ^^'

Quote Originally Posted by PaperGriffin View Post
    Absolutely stunning map Daniel.

If you don't mind a small suggestion, have you tried flipping the staircase 180 degrees? Simply so it is easier to identify at a glance. Regardless, a beautiful map.
    Thanks! I didn't realise at first, but yeah, I understand that the stairs are hard to notice. I've had people asking how people would get upstairs The reason I decided to do it this way is because now the stairs bring you directly to the common room, instead of rooms first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    And here I thought this place had already peaked in its awesomeness! You definitely nailed the perspective here, really well done. Still functional and informative, now with even more charm. Love it!
    Thank you Kell! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    All your style and its charm in this map !
    I have to second Pap' on this though, as I had some difficulties to understand the structure at the bottom right was the stairs ^^'
    Thanks Misty! Yeah, it's hard to see, but as I explained to PG, there was a reason to do it this way. In the future I'll design my tavern, or other buildings, in a way that makes it easier to see the stairs!

Very nice. I like how you handled the walls on the second story and showed the doors. As mentioned the stairs are a little tough at first but what got me more was figuring out that they didn't end upstairs into a railing. That's the banister. The angles just line up so it's tough. I think if you changed the coloration of the banister or put a light source on the stairs somewhere you could use the light to help make it more clear. Still, once you work it out it's not a huge problem.

I can see this being a hopping place in the evenings.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt