Thanks for the suggestion, SG. I will take that into account. I'll probably spend more time on the trees as I get done with the town proper.

As for the fields. They were rather simple to create. First, I created a selection on its own layer in a rectangle shape. I filled it with a colour and then added Noise Filter (amount = 5.41) to it.

Then on a new layer above it, I drew a brown line with a brush (with scattering clicked on in the Brush Presets option) down the side of the field. I then duplicated that layer and moved it over a little bit to the right. I merged that layer back into the brush layer (now there are two lines instead of one). Then I duplicated it again and moved the results to the right. Again, I merged that layer backed and now had four lines instead of two. I repeated the process until I had enough lines covering the field (in fact I had additional lines so I erased them). This whole process didn't take long and it made sure I got consistent results with the line that I might not have done so by drawing all of them free hand.

I keep the colour layer and the lines layer separated. I then duplicated both of these layers and marked them as my templates. I used them to create additional fields of different colours and when I was done, I hide my template layers (for future use). Once I was happy with the way the fields looked, I then merged the colour and line layers together so each coloured field is on its own layer for ease of placement.

I hope that made sense.