Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sambria: Another shot at it

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hellloa

Today, I added more grass to the map and a monster's fin to the Highstorm Seas and finally a dragon towards Embria.

I am getting quite close to calling this one finished. I am pondering what is still necessary, anyone have any ideas?

Do you think I should add smaller town Icons? And by extension name them too?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sambria_Semifinal_v1.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	115643

Name:	DragonMount_v1.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	115644
    Last edited by XCali; 05-26-2019 at 02:33 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I thought I'd add a compass rose to the map.

Name:	Crystaline Compass Rose.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	565.2 KB 
ID:	115656

The other part I wanted to think about tackling was adding Small map pointers to show the towns and or villages. But... I feel this might make the map too busy. So, I decided against it for the moment.

EXPERIMENT:

Name:	Road and Icon Experiment.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	920.5 KB 
ID:	115657

This last straight is proving hard. I am not too sure what to add. I am thinking about roads, but then I have to commit and crisscross the map with roads... which I feel unsure about doing.

Any tips to how to tackle the last go around for the map is incredibly welcome. I need someone to discuss this with.
    Last edited by XCali; 05-28-2019 at 09:39 AM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

I like the overall look of the map and its colors and teh lineart is pretty great too.

I kind of feel like "Boat Crusher Reef" should have a bit of wreckage to go with the name.

It's a very nice style you've got going there. You could probably add details for weeks and still get oohs and aahs with each new one.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I like the overall look of the map and its colors and teh lineart is pretty great too.
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I kind of feel like "Boat Crusher Reef" should have a bit of wreckage to go with the name.

It's a very nice style you've got going there. You could probably add details for weeks and still get oohs and aahs with each new one.
    Thank you very much for the kind words.

Hehe, that is an incredibly valid point, one I didn't really think about. I will see if I can add something. The line art for that kind of thing would be a bit more time consuming, but I will check it out. I appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by XCali; 05-28-2019 at 12:49 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Map Night and Day

Hiya!!

Okay, so I'm getting VERY close to the point of calling it.

A thing that remain in my mind as a question is, do I add a border or not and if so, will it take away from the map?
    Any feedback is welcome.

### Latest WIP ###
    Night

Name:	Sambrian_Nights_v1_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	5.24 MB 
ID:	115678

Day

Name:	Sambrian_Days_v1_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	115679

(For the night I went about adding fire flies as well as the glowing trees. And brightened up the bio-luminescent beasties in the ocean.)

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

I like the night view. I don't think you need a border. I mean, if it were to be printed out, you'd want a margin, but that's just practical necessity. Artwise, you're good. (If I were framing a poster of this, I'd probably go with a simple black frame.) If you were printing in a book, you might want a border so if something went a little wrong around the edge, it wouldn't affect the map itself. That's something of the reasoning behind decorative borders on physical maps, too. Wear on the edges doesn't take out actual data. So, it kind of depends on what your plans for the map are.

I love it, your style is so unique. The fact that you do night-time versions makes me envy the digital fabrication side of cartography, being that I've never tried it myself.

I'm personally about simplicity of detail, and I think what you have is perfect.

Cheers!

IR

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I like the night view. I don't think you need a border. I mean, if it were to be printed out, you'd want a margin, but that's just practical necessity. Artwise, you're good. (If I were framing a poster of this, I'd probably go with a simple black frame.) If you were printing in a book, you might want a border so if something went a little wrong around the edge, it wouldn't affect the map itself. That's something of the reasoning behind decorative borders on physical maps, too. Wear on the edges doesn't take out actual data. So, it kind of depends on what your plans for the map are.
    I really appreciate the feedback. And you are right for a physical edition I might need to look into a border. Thanks for taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I love it, your style is so unique. The fact that you do night-time versions makes me envy the digital fabrication side of cartography, being that I've never tried it myself.

I'm personally about simplicity of detail, and I think what you have is perfect.

Cheers!

IR
    Thank you so much. I am so glad you enjoy it and the style. I wanted to figure out something that is me. So, it is incredibly reassuring what you said.

Hehe, and don't worry too much. It is ALWAYS possible to scan your traditional map and make a digital version of it that experiments with things like example a night time. Case and point, my Thunder Rock city map is mostly drawn on paper with pen and pencil. Then I had it converted to a digital format( Took a photo of it, but later I had a city map commission scanned, doesn't make much of a difference how you go about it.) and started colouring it there and adding shadows and highlights. After that, I just went about using Colour Temperature and Lightness to get the Night feel before adding the lights to the city.

(For this map however, it is mostly digital from the start. I drew a few icons by hand before scanning it and adding it, but that is about it.)

The gist of it is, experimenting can and will lead to new types things possible for your map making(Just make back ups before you do. )

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Apprentice

It's a fun map; nice work; I especially like the design of twisted groves. From your other posts I realize this is for your book, and that you make some rpg maps; but this style would (in my opinion) also be great for board games; have you worked on any?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast