Thread: First finished map! (hand-drawn, ink)

Default First finished map! (hand-drawn, ink)

Hello! A while ago I posted a WIP of my first map of my homebrew setting for D&D 5e, and now that I'm finished with it I'd like to get some feedback for my next one! I'd like to dabble with watercolors and other paints, but for some reason my watercolor paper (this one is 7x10") just isn't holding up to it, so I was pretty terrified to try any on this one. The paper is Let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arith map.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	720.6 KB 
ID:	114198
    Last edited by windsor811; 03-15-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

It is a solid map, well done. I also like how you experimented with different mountain shapes. Also, you did a good job filling in the biggest stretches of blank space.

Nice going with the sea monster.

My advice would be, keep at it. Keep experimenting(Like for example grab a different piece of paper and try and draw things you wish to add to your map before you commit it on your main map. Secondly, I was a bit surprised at how big all the labels are; is there a reason for that? You can get away with a big name for the entire continent and the islands, before you add quite a bit smaller names for the different zones. This way, you gain a lot of space to add interesting things like dunes or swamps or even more fantastical things.
    Last thing I can think of is, add to the map what you want to see on it. It is good to take inspiration from other maps, definitely! But, don't be afraid to master the style that comes faster to you. Yet, don't be afraid to take up challenges.
    Hope all of that makes sense.

P.S. Drawing Dnd maps is fun, don't you think?
    Last edited by XCali; 03-15-2019 at 10:10 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

A nice map indeed. Personally I think the larger hand drawn labels really work well for this particular piece (that's all down to a matter of taste I imagine), but I think XCali has offered some really helpful advice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you so much for the advice XCali! I was using bigger labels to test out drawing labels in this font, it was my first time so I didn't want to go too small, on this size map anything smaller it gets harder to keep the personality of the font (or at least it was for me this first time). I will definitely add more things as I go and make sure to add my own personality to them

And thank you Arsheesh as well!

The kind words are very much appreciated, thank you!