Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jiito Island, a map for a novel

Map Jiito Island, a map for a novel

Hi folks,

I've been pretty inactive on the forums lately as I've been over busy with regular work, moving house, renovating said house, having a sick baby at home (nothing dire), getting sick myself (I won't show pictures of my face ravaged by the chicken pox my baby girl gave me) and still recovering plus clients getting "shark-in-bloody-water" crazy. I've spend most of my free time mapping and will soon be able to show some here (I've already shown bits on social media) but in the meantime, here's a little one.

It's for an upcoming novel by author Judah Moscato named "The Lands of Lyrica". I do not know much about it besides it's a land with walled countries with a railroad circling the island and a volcano on the inner island. Judah approached me two weeks ago with a rough sketch and a demand for an A4 sepia map. I love sepia maps and working on a small map was a relief (I have several leviathans in the works and I do not like big maps) so I jumped in. I also used this map to finally use new mountains on a commission, I hope they look well enough.

Speaking of enough I'll stop chattering and show the map :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jiito Island post.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	114519

© Thomas Rey - 2019 - All rights reserved

To give you an idea, here's the sketch from the client :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	269.8 KB 
ID:	114521

As always, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this one. Cheers !

I absolutely adore these mountains, dude. They look amazing!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Well, cou came back with a BANG and I'm glad about it! =) Great work with this one, there is a lot of stuff going on I really like.
    And I'm +1 with the mountains Repped!
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    And The clouds? I love the clouds too !!!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

A very beautiful expression of your style, which is well established now! Very nice map ! But I must confess that you know how to tease your future maps: Leviathans?!?!? My imagination goes wild

It's a very nice map. I like the style a lot - the mountains compliment your style very well.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Thanks Kell I was pretty anxious to try them on a commercial map, glad you think they look ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    Well, cou came back with a BANG and I'm glad about it! =) Great work with this one, there is a lot of stuff going on I really like.
    And I'm +1 with the mountains Repped!
    You're way too kind Steffen but thanks I was inspired by your maps for the general tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    And The clouds? I love the clouds too !!!
    Hehe, thanks Naima I have to give credit to John for the clouds as I studied his to work on mine (this man is a walking masterclass on almost everything).

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    A very beautiful expression of your style, which is well established now! Very nice map ! But I must confess that you know how to tease your future maps: Leviathans?!?!? My imagination goes wild
    Merci beaucoup Joël Yeah, the style is becoming consistent enough. About the leviathans, they are two world maps, one is a 45x90 cm black and white map with lots of mountains in this style and the other is a 70x100 cm color map with some surprises. I hope I'll finish them in a couple of month but I find those large maps extremely difficult for two reasons :
    - I tend to lose interest because I work on the same part until it's done (for example, I do all of the mountains and do not stop until they're done) and it is boring for the least and maddening for the worst cases.
    - I always largely underestimate the amount of time needed to finish them (gonna need to charge more ).

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    It's a very nice map. I like the style a lot - the mountains compliment your style very well.

Wingshaw
    Thanks a lot George

Default nice

Looks really good, keep em coming

It's a very nice map, I like that simple style. The only thing I would change is font. It is poorlu readable in some words. Meaby Trajan Pro or that will be better?

I love those mountains, and the central volcano is particularly impressive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast