Thread: Pampa Devastado (wip)

Wip Pampa Devastado (wip)

As per my other thread, these are my first experiments with Inkarnate, after finally giving up all other tools I had. I know, Inkarnate maps can be spotted a mile away. But my results might have finally reached average, which is well over previous attempts. And all in a couple nights work.

So, a bit of context. I started writing post-apocalyptic fiction as hobby a while ago, centered where I live (southern Brazil). Also independently I develop this tabletop RPG in need of a setting. So I thought well, maybe a post-apocalyptic setting could come out of this.

I did develop a good portion of the setting, but the map eluded me for maybe two years. I had tried mapping my region with Corel Draw and Dungeon Painter Studio (it's not for dungeons only), but I didn't like the results. Finally I started trying Inkarnate a few days ago.

This map comprises a future version of northern Argentina, Uruguay, southern Paraguay and southern Brazil. The coastline is mostly acurate, rivers are somewhat aproximate, mountains, hills and other elevation might be off in several regions for convenience and because of the difficulty getting acurate large maps that show altitude. Anyway, it's not supposed to be super acurate, just interesting enough to use in a game that would take place decades or centuries from now.

I'd like to hear your ideas for my map, mainly to make it look better or cooler. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pampa Devastado.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	6.66 MB 
ID:	114590

### Latest WIP ###
    I think this is it. It's not like it's perfect, but I think it's the best I can do for this map. I'm reaching my limit. I hope my next map is better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa com texto 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	114642
    Last edited by RafaelLVX; 04-03-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Please keep in mind I know little about mapmaking and even less about Inkarnate. I like the colors, for me, it does bring to mine an irradiated hellscape.

The only constructive criticism I can offer is that there appears to be a texture under most of the land mass; it looks fairly cool on the orangey land and the dark land on the left, but a bit weird to also be under the blueish pars (swamps I think?), and maybe only the orangey land or the dark tan land but not both? (but still the very dark land on the left, so two areas in all); and the rives inside the swamps seems a bit off; sorry if that doesn't make sense. I like to plaster textures a lot too, and then I don't always clean it up, so that might be why I'm focusing on that aspect. Anyway, nice start, and like I mentioned it does give off a post apocalyptic vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Please keep in mind I know little about mapmaking and even less about Inkarnate. I like the colors, for me, it does bring to mine an irradiated hellscape.

The only constructive criticism I can offer is that there appears to be a texture under most of the land mass; it looks fairly cool on the orangey land and the dark land on the left, but a bit weird to also be under the blueish pars (swamps I think?), and maybe only the orangey land or the dark tan land but not both? (but still the very dark land on the left, so two areas in all); and the rives inside the swamps seems a bit off; sorry if that doesn't make sense. I like to plaster textures a lot too, and then I don't always clean it up, so that might be why I'm focusing on that aspect. Anyway, nice start, and like I mentioned it does give off a post apocalyptic vibe.
    Hello. Thank you for the comment. Yes, I see what you mean. The rivers in particular are what I like the least myself in this map. I wanted the rivers to be clear and crisp against the kinda busy land textures, so maybe they're too wide. I need to improve that. Thanks again.