Thread: Dwarf Fortress

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wellsy89 View Post
    OK I officially remember why I stopped playing this game.

NOTHING ELSE GETS DONE!

I've been sat playing solidly since my last post and though I love it more even than WoW it's just far too much of a lifesuck. You begin to talk to your dwarves and even mourn when one of them dies.

I recently started building individual rooms for them and watching them sleep.

O_O
    This game should not be played by those with an addictive personality.
    LOLOL! excellent! Thanks for the (very true to life) laugh!

Blog Entries

Heh - I thought when I checked it out that you could grab the text and push the map through a script to make a better version. I have a kind of thing like that as a web page somewhere ill dig out if people are interested.

Also another little game I tried is DROD - its a block based little game which is about solving each dungeon level. Google it and download - its tiny and again very addictive. You could prob play this on a windows based phone.

That damn game...

Such a terribly wonderful time-sink. I agree that anyone with a cartographic bent can find much to enjoy there. If the ASCII graphics put you off too much, there are some great tilesets available that add a little more personality and readability to the display - such as Mike Mayday's lovingly rendered and compiled version found here - http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

I can honestly say that this game taught me a few things about dungeon design, and emphasizing a connection between form and function.

Requires a bit of a mental commitment though, as the learning curve is a sheer 90 degree cliff face for your first couple of fortresses. Praise be to the wiki.