Thread: Looking for an illustrator to color my B&W Dungeons & Dragons map.

Help Looking for an illustrator to color my B&W Dungeons & Dragons map.

I am looking for an experienced illustrator to color in a poster-sized map that I already have drawn. I would give you a .PSD file that has only black and white layers, and I would ask that you return a PSD with layers of color. I want to print out a full color version, but I don't have the skills to fill it in myself.

This is a paid job. I think a talented illustrator could finish the work in a couple hours, so for now I'm only willing to offer about $30 US to do a first pass. If the work is good, I would be willing to pay an additional fee (another $20-30) to take a second pass based on specific notes.

It is a fantasy map for a D&D 5e campaign, so keeping the palette within the general design scheme of 5th edition would be a nice bonus. It is an isometrically drawn city map with three close-up inserts off to the side. I have attached a low-resolution thumbnail here for reference. The city has a cradle-of-civilization feel to it, and you could take for inspiration the ancient cities of Constantinople or Alexandria. For a more precise fantasy reference, think Qarth from Game of Thrones.

If you are interested in the job, I would like to see a reference of one or two previous illustrations so I know you're capable of this type of work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kezmeer-thumbnail-bw.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	114732

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I was popping in here because I have coloured many a BW drawing. But, I will say this, that image is way too small to figure out how much work it is going to take, so for the time being I will say, add an image quite a bit bigger even if you add a Watermark. This will help us decide what it would take.

Point number two. An illustration of say a black and white landscape might just take a few hours, but city maps has a lot of little nooks and crannies to fill in with colour. So, depending on the image, it might be just a few hours work or it might be quite a bit more. Just so you can keep it mind.

As it is now, the image is far too small to make a call.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

You're right there is fine details in the city itself - small handdrawn buildings. I'm not willing to post a larger image publicly, watermark or no. If you need more detail, I would be willing to send a larger image to an interested party via private channels. The forum admin here has said that I am not allowed to use the private messaging system until I have made 5 posts, so what's the best way to communicate directly with other users?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Okay. Then, I will suggest posting 3 more times. Go to the Finished maps thread and post a few on maps you like. The posting does really become easier after 5. Then you can PM someone to get an estimate on the amount of work it would be.
    Last edited by XCali; 04-10-2019 at 04:29 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

That, or offer the option for people to reach you by email, so things can be discussed over there. I personally prefer email communication over the PM function here on the forums, I just find it easier.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Fair enough, email is more convenient.
    Please, if you're interested and want to see a higher-resolution sample, please email me at alvinpenworth@gmail.com and I'll send an image privately. Put "KEZMEER" in the subject of your email so I know you're not a spammer or scammer.
    The fee is open to negotiations if I discover that this job is more work than I expect.