Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorize a map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I like the color variation, but you may want to reduce the shadowing a bit, or spread it throughout the forests. It looks like the trees are as tall as the mountains

Also, is the ring of mountains a new addition? I ask because your rivers there are now going *through* mountains which looks very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I like the color variation, but you may want to reduce the shadowing a bit, or spread it throughout the forests. It looks like the trees are as tall as the mountains

Also, is the ring of mountains a new addition? I ask because your rivers there are now going *through* mountains which looks very strange.
    Nah its the outlines with the "eye" still on, so I know where they will go. Im just doing a bit at the time, but most outlines and stuff I know...
    The ring of mountains is "the God Lands" where the Gods Recide in my world, after the big cataclysm all universe melted into a big one, dimensions and worlds collided. Making Gods share the world with others, as races died and Gods dissapeared a few remained and created the God lands, which is a straneg place where none should go.. It will be divided with a "human" made wall and the a wall protecting from the north. For now I have mostly been working with shades and colour. testing new ideas. Even the woods has changed now.

Do you mean the shadows in the woods, creates an illusion of the woods being taller?
    Well I dont want that on the rest of the map, woods in God Lands are tall as mountains, as it is a strange place... Firts i built it with 300% larger trees, but didnt look like woods then, only a few trees as the rest of them looked liek tiny balls (actually looking like woods"

This is what I am at atm, without any clean up or removing markers etc. Rivers and lakes will be the last thing... I added the marking shadows at the edge of the woods, I liked the look of that, thinking I will make it at the canopes as well a little here and there, what do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	godlands.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	115139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floating islands.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	115140

I decided to do it with tiny trees instead, what do you guys think?

Name:	dfhhfdhd.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	115165

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hmm, I like the small trees better, but now they really don't match the mountains stylistically. Maybe if they were a bit lighter? Sorry - I'm a trial and error kind of mapper lol, so I can't give better advice

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Hmm, I like the small trees better, but now they really don't match the mountains stylistically. Maybe if they were a bit lighter? Sorry - I'm a trial and error kind of mapper lol, so I can't give better advice
    Its easy to brighten it up, just put on a new layer, mark the old layer of trees, add soft light to the layer and brush it with white almost yellow kind of light. Will look like this then...
    Im not sure, I enjoy the dark woods, the woods that are marked are the old ones, in between and everywhere there will be lighter smaller tree areas, symboling more kind woods for travellers.
    You can also see I added old big trees hig has mountains, elven trees, from the old world.

You think this lighten version of the old woods are better?
    remember its just the mapout, havent started with the details as much yet
    Also its my firts map ever so Im struggling with every bit... What i did with the trees is I painted em large on by one to look like a real tree and then added it into a brush with a few others and dotted em out.

Name:	dfhhfdhd.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	115191

Name:	singletree.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	115192

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12