Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorize a map

Default Colorize a map

Hey guys,
    Im working on my first map and I have some questions that I have been struggling with.
    I want to colorize the map, I have managed to make mountains work, color them and they look fine and dandy. But how do I colorize the ground (grass etc) and MY nemesis, the trees.

Would love any help on the matter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nordnejd3.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	114999
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nordnejd.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	114998  

I'm impressed with your map. I had to reread to confirm that you said it was your first map! Well done.

There are multiple styles for creating vegetation. Would you mind citing a couple maps whose style you would like to emulate?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

With that style of tree, i'm afraid you're going to be stuck coloring it the hard way, with a small brush and mouse/tablet.

For the grass, I highly recommend Torstan's tutorial on how to draw grasslands. It would fit nicely with the tree style you have, and the concepts might help you with other sticky coloration issues you may come across as well.

Hey, thx for posting. Well I was testing out a few different ways to colour it. I got stuck with making my own multicolour object, a drew a foliage and when i was happy i started to sprinkle it out on the trees, it turned out like this, but im still struggling, dont know if I like it and doing each tree is hellish... but perhaps thats the way its ment to be done. I also (not on the picture) tried highliting and adding some extra shadows... what I felt was the "group of trees" was less nice to look at, while the scattered ones was more pleasant to the eyes. Yet I dislike the feeling they look scarce, cause its ment to be a deep old forrest with naughtyness in it.

I have looked at a lot of maps and I think they all look nice. They all seem to be colored with ease or atleast beauty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest trees.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	115019

I looked at so many maps, maybe hundreds and I liked em all and yet I cnat find any of them at the moment. Most maps I think ive been looking at is battlemaps. ofcourse they will be colored differently because you can single out a tree easier but I still want the feeling that the woods are woods. I struggle a lot here, any advice on it? I take any style or way to do it.

Thx for liking my map. I will post it with high resolution when its done

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    With that style of tree, i'm afraid you're going to be stuck coloring it the hard way, with a small brush and mouse/tablet.

For the grass, I highly recommend Torstan's tutorial on how to draw grasslands. It would fit nicely with the tree style you have, and the concepts might help you with other sticky coloration issues you may come across as well.
    Thank you, i will look at that, havnt really moved on to the fields yet but i was looking at it a little and it was also a struggle. Have some good brushes with low flow to make it stand out but the colours is still my main struggle, so thank you

Quote Originally Posted by w.gofry View Post
    I'm impressed with your map. I had to reread to confirm that you said it was your first map! Well done.

There are multiple styles for creating vegetation. Would you mind citing a couple maps whose style you would like to emulate?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    hey dont know if u get my response unless i quoted

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The coloring on the trees looks great; in terms of the sparseness the clump in that pic also looks pretty good.

In terms of whether we get responses when not quoted - generally people will be notified if you quote them, but they'll see other responses when they next visit the forums. So it's really up to you.

Guild Novice

Felicidades por tu mapa. Yo tambien soy nuevo en este mundo y estoy trabajando ahora en un proyecto que me gusta mucho y tambien estoy peleando con los colores. Para ser tu primer mapa te doy la enhorabuena.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker87 View Post
    Felicidades por tu mapa. Yo tambien soy nuevo en este mundo y estoy trabajando ahora en un proyecto que me gusta mucho y tambien estoy peleando con los colores. Para ser tu primer mapa te doy la enhorabuena.
    Thank you, I actually made really good lookings trees today, had this idea before I went to bed that I tried out this morning. The results where nice.
    I made a psd file with my trees in different layers, then i painted each tree as I would do close up, and at a big size. Then I used multi colour brush and pick the tree up, shrunk it and placed it, worked really well..

So I have been working on the trees on the map and the colorization of them. Ended up doing it like this. On the first image i tried to colour each tree, tried different sizes and bringing them down into small bubbles of trees gave a nice effect to it but somehow I do not like it. Instead I went with picture number two... It is actually a big tree I used as an entire forest, just by sizing it up and gopinv over the lines with shadows and smaller tress that is not INSIDE the thicker woods. What do you think?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	115135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees2.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	115136

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast