Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song of Blood & Stone

Guild Apprentice S. E. Davidson's Avatar

Map Song of Blood & Stone

Well, posting in this forum has been a long time coming!
    I've not been very active in the guild thus far (since joining back at the end of last year), due to school/work obligations and moving a lot...but I'm hoping to change that forthwith!

I was commissioned near the end of last year by a lovely author named Leslye Penelope to re-do the map for her fantasy novel A Song of Blood & Stone.
    I finished that one within a few days, but she reached out to me again last week to add colors as the paperback version of her book will be released next month.

I've had only a few limited color commissions thus far, so I was excited to have the opportunity to do this for a map I had put a lot of care into.

Here is the final version, and the first map I've done that really had any sort of detailed color.
    I just want to say thanks to everyone in the Cartographer's Guild community, as continually seeing all your incredible work definitely inspired me to delve into the land of color and continues to challenge me to push the limits of my own ability and style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	©LPenelope Color Map.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	115882

What a beauty this is, your color choices couldn't fit any more perfectly! I really enjoy your mountains as well.

Cheers!

IR

Nice confident linework and a really lovely color scheme. Congrats on the commission and look forward to seeing more of your work in the weeks and months to come!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

What a pretty style! I really adore the gentle colors and the soft linework. Nice texturework too! If I had to nitpick on something, I'd say the fields are tad too dominant and could maybe have benefited from a bit thinner lines and more subtle glow around them, but that is pretty much all I can think of.

Congrats on the commission, and I hope to see more of your work!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    What a pretty style! I really adore the gentle colors and the soft linework. Nice texturework too! If I had to nitpick on something, I'd say the fields are tad too dominant and could maybe have benefited from a bit thinner lines and more subtle glow around them, but that is pretty much all I can think of.

Congrats on the commission, and I hope to see more of your work!
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Nice confident linework and a really lovely color scheme. Congrats on the commission and look forward to seeing more of your work in the weeks and months to come!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks very much to you both for the feedback! I hope to continue sharing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    What a beauty this is, your color choices couldn't fit any more perfectly! I really enjoy your mountains as well.

Cheers!

IR
    I appreciate that Adfor, thanks!

I really like the color palette and these mountains that make me think of SteffenBrand's art for Das Schwarze Auge with a more detailed shading. All in all a real good piece !

Yep, yep, you totally have me in your team with this style ! Really lovely, and I love your colors as well.
    (And as often, I agree with Kell' : just the fields to edit a little for my taste as well ^^)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very nice map, well executed... the author of the novel must be delighted!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Yep, yep, you totally have me in your team with this style ! Really lovely, and I love your colors as well.
    (And as often, I agree with Kell' : just the fields to edit a little for my taste as well ^^)
    Thank ye kindly. Heh...yep, didn't much realize the dominant field look until you you and Kell both mentioned about it here, but I definitely agree now I see it. Thanks for the helpful insight there, very much appreciated. ^-^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast