Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern city

Nice terrain!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hrm, having mucho problemos reworking the buildings and roads...my brain just isn't working today. May have to turn this into a medieval city...I can do those The main problem is that I didn't leave myself enough flat ground to build a modern city upon. Been staring at Denver in FlashEarth and just can't get it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

In case anyone has been wondering, here's what I've been doing...roads. Millions and millions of roads with millions left still to do. The red stroke just helps me to keep my place while working. I have the true color overlay turned off (medium gray with the slightest touch of tan) as well as a noise pattern to break it up a bit. I started with the city blocks then added in some highways. I'm working my way through the suburbs right now and eventually the rural areas. Then I get to try to figure out some way to depict the buildings without doing millions of buildings in SketchUp.

My advice...don't attempt this at home, you could hurt someone cuz I just want to break stuff. Do medieval cities instead...less roads and no skyscrapers At this scale I'd still like for my buildings to be only 1 or 2 pixels since the roads are all 1 pixel. Anyways, back to the grind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modern city.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	10657  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Here's a screenie at 200% with the road styles on and the original buildings back in...they don't look too shabby after all.

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1,020.1 KB 
ID:	10666  

Oooh, now I see. The weird stuff are the buildings... An they look good now!
    Really cool style, very realistic.
    Can you give a few pointers on how you did the river texture?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What, no cloverleafs on the highways!

This is coming along nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

The roads help mightily to break-up the very straight N-S-E-W grid-orientation of the original building pattern that was so unnatural and inorganic looking.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

The river is just a shape I drew then filled with white. Put a pattern overlay of a grayscale water pattern (from the Dunjinni forums), teal color overlay (not sure what blend mode or opacity), and darker bluish-teal inner glow (set to center and not edge). Copied this layer, remove layer styles, fill to zero, inner glow of a brownish-green (set to edge this time) for the muddy banks under water and a different blue water pattern overlay and finally capped that off with an outer soft bevel set to down so as to give a false sense of depth.

Then I did the banks on a new layer with a scattered dry brush in a light yellowish-tan. The color shift/haze is my usual layer of white on top of everything, set to soft light (not sure of the opacity right now) with a color overlay of some light grayish-teal with around 50% opacity.

If you want, I can give exact specifics (like exact color codes, blend modes and opacities) after I start working on it some more tonight after I eat dinner and take a nap...weird I know but I sleep for a few then work for a few, etc...but this should give you plenty to start experimenting with. Here's a screenie with the haze layer turned off to give you some idea of the real colors.

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	842.1 KB 
ID:	10693  

A simple "I used a texture from dundjinni forum and some layer effects" would have done it for me
    I'l go check out that texture, It looks really good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast