Thread: The world on a cog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

@Neon - Thanks! It was fun to do.

@Midgarsomr - I love the sig comment - I really didn't expect that starvation motivated comment to come back and bite me everyday

As I understand it, the cog moves the outer planes. There are three lower cogs beneath that the particularly enthusiastic viewer should be just about able to pick out. I put them in, but didn't want them to be a major feature so they are subtle. Perhaps too subtle.

As for the resolution, the full size version is ~9000 by 7000. I had to borrow a colleagues quad core power mac to do this in Gimp. The time may well have come to upgrade my hardware. As the screen of my (fixed!) laptop has started flickering today, I might be upgrading sooner than I might otherwise hope for.

@Ascension - yep, it's dark alright, but I'm hearing that from quite a few people so I may lighten it a little (including GP who I'm talking to about a print out of this). The commission was for dark and gritty, so I turned my normal levels way down. I wanted the lines to be very subtle, so they are black lines at low opacity set to multiply. This does get a bit lost in the sea, but I'm not sure if that bothers me at all. I might play with a version with white lines set to overlay over the weekend.

The labels are going to be low opacity black with a white overlay glow so they will lighten the map quite a lot. I'll play around and see.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, I think it looks good, and is a pretty good concept.

Although, I'm pretty sure there is already a novel based on this concept (though I've not read it) where the world is actually a piece in a giant clockwork universe or orrery.

[russian-accented-soup-nazi]no rep for you; is need more spready first[/russian-accented-soup-nazi]
    Last edited by Karro; 02-26-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...