Thread: Roslar's Tomb

Guild Apprentice ARockabillyRhino's Avatar

Post Roslar's Tomb

Hello Cartographers,

It's been a while since I posted here, but I think I've been improving a bit since my last post, and wanted some feedback from some of you pros.

This is a tomb for a Pathfinder adventure I am running, where the map included was a bit... not my speed. So I thought I'd give it some personal flair and draw it myself!

The vibe of the map is supposed to be very ethereal and wispy, it is a tomb in the land of the dead, so I went with muted colors and a purple tinge to the stone.
    It is uploaded at 1/8 the resolution that I work at, so it may be a bit blurry up close, but from far away it should get the point across.

Any feedback as to what looks awkward, distracting etc would be helpful, as well as color. I work hard to get color right in my maps, but as I am colorblind, a lot of that work is purely theoretical .
    And while I'm not fishing for compliments, and feedback as to what you think the strengths of the piece are would be helpful. It's important to know both your strengths and your weaknesses.

Thank you everyone for your time!

And here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roslars_tomb_1400.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	116667

Update: Added some detail outside the tomb itself. I gave it a bit of texture by blending a photo of crumpled paper and cloth, and added some cloudy shadows of the tomb itself. If I were really to display this (like in a nerdy gallery), I'd add even more, like a title, a better border, some linework etc.
    As this will be for playing (and then discarding later wahhhh) I'm keeping the focus inside the walls of the play area.

Anyways, here it is:

Name:	roslars_tomb_1400.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	936.9 KB 
ID:	116672

This is a great map. Very well done. I don't know about the doors they are kind of hard to distinguish from the walls, but if they are secret doors this makes sense.

@Falconius, thank you very much! I totally agree, I want them to be the same material as the walls, but you're right that it needs to still be readable. I've darkened them in my 'final' version.

And here it is! My final version until I want to change something:

Name:	roslars_tomb_2800.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	116691

Out of the cool linework and general concept, I'm fond of the subtle colors you used there. The tile details are very simple but adds a lot of charm and atmosphere to the whole piece. Very nicely done