Thread: My Augur orb cracked a bit so it's not perfect, what do you think of the map?

Default My Augur orb cracked a bit so it's not perfect, what do you think of the map?

So I've been making a couple of maps for a while, but I'm still quite new at map-making.

So here's a map I made over a few days.

Just note that I'm just using a mouse so it's not practical for me to make many custom drawings.

What do you think about this and what could I do to make the map a 10/10 map of a similar style

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greece.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	6.21 MB 
ID:	116724

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

I think the direction you got there can work very well. It is really great, especially being new to this I assume. =)
    One thing I'd try out is darkening the mountains. If you use white on the edges I'd imagine mountains shouldn't be this high of a contrast.
    You have 2x Abusina in there, is that intentional? Just out of curiosity.
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 07-27-2019 at 03:40 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I like the graphic design all right, like the text is well handled. Very readable in that when I zoom in I know exactly what's going on. I find the legend a bit tricky to read in all of the border energetics, and the border itself lacks a defined edge, I like to see a solid frame on the outside to really complete the look. I recognize the stock used for the magic circle compass, if you customize anything I'd do it for that, especially since the magic writing kind of chews up the 'white ocean' label. This is a task which using the mouse isn't so hard, since you'll be able to do it by selecting and then creating a stroke around that selected bit, or fill in that selected bit. If you have Illustrator available you could even create text on the round in the same way this magic circle is created. If you do it in Photoshop, do a circle selection, stroke the outside of it, shrink the selection, and stroke it again, and then you can create a few circles and join them together and jazz it up without ever having to draw a thing, just creating a few modular circle and star/triangle bits to use.

I prefer to do the 'echo stroke' coastline myself, I think you were aiming for a sense of the white sands, but because of how unified it remains it doesn't have the same organic appeal. I'd fool around a bit more with that coastline trim and maybe take it in a similar hard stroke direction as the text, or do a few different shade layers out to show the changing gradation of color from sand to deeper waters, instead of a single white glow.

All told for an early map it's a very good one. It works for its purpose.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    I think the direction you got there can work very well. It is really great, especially being new to this I assume. =)
    One thing I'd try out is darkening the mountains. If you use white on the edges I'd imagine mountains shouldn't be this high of a contrast.
    You have 2x Abusina in there, is that intentional? Just out of curiosity.
    Thank you! I'll try to do that the next time I can work on it!
    And nope, that's a complete mistake, I guess that's what happens when you use a a random name generator and aren't too careful with what the names are I'll fix the doubles for next time.

Thank you for all your advice!

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure about the type of border or what to do with it, I'll try to simplify it as much as possible.

I am actually thinking of removing the stock compass completely for now at least.

As for the "white sands" next to the coastlines, I'm thinking of removing the white glow and continuing to lighten the coasts a bit like how I lighten the colours of the seas as they get closer to the coast.

As for the mountains, I'll try to darken them and make them a bit nicer. Maybe using dark brown instead of black(?) And likewise turning the trees dark green? Or maybe improving the shading? I'll experiment a bit with all that.

I'll try to improve the map a bit later, thanks for all your information!