Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: World Map for my Campaign - WIP

Wip More Details to the Home Country

Folks may remember that I put a link to the map of Istarnia which i have at my Obsidian Portal site...

...that was just done quickly so I could get the game going. This big bad boy of a map is supposed to be my serious map for the world...

so i had done almost no work on the small portion of the map that is Istarnia.

Now I have started to flesh out the details of the places the PC's have been.

The Dwarf, Dulkas, is from the Thundercap Mountains. Glawen the Elf is from the Spearwoods. Chen and Bronwyn are from Braefield. And the mysterious Coryn is from the Eladrin city of Solaerithus.

You can see Athendirth, the canyon formed in an ancient battle between Corellon and Tiamat. Pelor's wall, the Towers of the Sun, and the plateau of the High Country are coming along. Mere Illestra and the Isle of Tears are not labeled, but you can see them.

I'd say it is coming along, but we shall see what the resolution looks like when I load this close up shot.

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2web.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	11948  

Wow.

Great maps. It is fun to see a unique yet cohesive style.

Some minor preferences/comments from a noob:

-I personally like the original paint swirls in the ocean from the first map or two. They very effectively suggested currents, but consistently so within your style.

- LOVE the old-school hex grid! It brings me back to Krynn, circa 1998

- Attractive mountains, too.
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

2 things: awesome colors, great painted feel, wonderful to look at but...there seems to be some sort of pattern throwing my eyes all akimbo. Do more please
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

thanks ascension...

good to hear you like the pattern...

my girlfriend said the spire in the middle of the shadowlands looked like a nipple...

so i am glad someone likes the pattern...

If I understand correctly Ascension doesn't really like the pattern though.

Anyway, I like the map. And I don't see a nipple in the Shadowlands. Maybe your girlfriend got issues?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Wip Road Map

I have started to work on roads... putting them mostly into the valleys of the land...

I will later decide which are major roads and which are more foot trails - because this seems like a lot of roads to me so far...

i am focussing on the area just east of the craters, as that will be where i am starting a children's series of fantasy novels - while i am running at D&D game in the same world....

should be fun

phil

Name:	roadmap2.jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	371.5 KB 
ID:	12208  

This is very nice, it even reminds me of soft watercolor illustrations you could find in a children's book.

Wip Major Revisions to my Map

I have become dissatisfied with the general shape of my map - particularly since it is supposed to be the remains of a post-cataclysmic continent after a Gods War changed the shape of the land.

So I decided that massive fissures should radiate from the Shadowlands, and the ocean levels should rise to fill those fissures in... and perhaps rivers would change course to flow into those fissures... and mountains might be pushed up a bit...

so here is a rough idea of the new direction i am heading with this map...

phil

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	13233  

I guess I should say the pink lines are my imagined flow of mountain ranges, which i want to redo...

and i want to shift the Shadowlands a bit east to make them more central.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Beware.

This way lies madness.

(but if you do go ahead with these land shifts, I'm confident given your earlier work that it will still look pretty spiffy! Ableit, you'll be mad by then, but what the heck.)
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast