Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handdrawn anyone??

I know, I have tons of hand drawn maps, city's, massive cities with around a thousand houses. A lot of people say they don't have the patients to draw them but I love it.

And I checked out the tutorial you mentioned torstan, it didn't really tell me how to draw anything particular. It was awesome though to learn a little more about the right pens and pencils.

I'm gonna post a map that I started last night here in a bit.

Guild Novice

I have a very naive question to ask... most of my maps I've either drawn by hand, or use computer tools from Photoshop to GIMP... can someone recommend a drawing tablet tool for a PC? I'm sure I'm on the right track here, since my fellow CAD designers use something like this. But is there something a bit more affordable for home use? Still qualifies as handr-drawn, right?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Certainly, an A6 or A5 Wacom Bamboo won't set you back too much. $63 is Amazon's current asking price.

Guild Novice

Thanks, torstan.
    For all your ballad and saga needs:

www.dementia5.com

RPG materials for fun and profit.

Post Drawing by hand!

I used to hand draw all of my maps (way back before I discovered computers) - I'm 42, so I can remember one the very first true mass production computers (The "Coleco Adam" - complete with a primitive compuserve subscription that you paid through snail mail and an old cassette tape recorder hard drive! LOL). I even cut my teeth on the old Radio Shack TRS-80 desktop that used wobbly floppys the size of a toast dish, and that had no real operating system to speak of.

I hand draw things that I scan in to incorporate into my graphics. I do a lot of hand drawn art work, but not so many hand drawn maps anymore.
    I am - however - extremely skilled at hand drawing maps in the old "Tolkeinish" style, as I learned how to draw fantasy maps by studieing Tolkein's work way back in grade school. If I ever wake up in the dark land of Mordor one morning - I'll be able to find my way NE to The Shire, and I won't need a GPS TOM TOM to do it!
    "A good heart is better than all the heads in the world." Author Edward Lytton

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I primarily draw mg maps by hand. my tutorials help thread http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3013 could possibly help you out... as always I'm open to questions on how to go about things.

I used to have a Coleco Adam back in the day. I spent many hours playing games and using it as a glorified typewriter. I've been known to draw my maps by hand now then. Often I will draw specific portions and scan them into the computer and continue with the rest in Photoshop. These days I'm 80% computer and 20% hand drawn. Sometimes it is just easier to draw certain things than trying to recreate them on the computer and other times it is the opposite.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

lol missed tor's post on my link... sorry for the repeat ya'll

I almost exclusively hand draw my maps- most of them on paper for campaigns that I'm running, because I generate them on the spot.

Why? Because I don't know if the players are planning to go right or left, travel to this continent or that one, and I don't have the time or motivation to map everything for my campaigns (though I plan out a general idea in my head of what's where).

When I'm doing a serious work, like an overworld map for promotional or concept art material, or a map for hire, I use a tablet and do it digitally. However, I'm trying to move towards a process of reducing my hand drawn details to certain things (like a hand full of trees) that I can clone repeatedly.

So, yes, I suppose they're still hand drawn by me, but I'm moving towards methods of producing work faster so I can get more done, so the elements that are independently hand-drawn are being reduced over time.

My maps, though, are almost exclusively of an archaic "isometric" style iconography placed on an overhead map.

I also, occasionally, hand-sculpt my maps from clay. Sand is also useful if you have access to a beach.
    I'm new here, from conworlds- also an awesome forum for world building.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12