Thread: {WIP} World of Dalaroque - Pangea map

Wip {WIP} World of Dalaroque - Pangea map

Hello fellow world builders,

This is my very first attempt at creating any sort of map/world. I'm an avid fan of high fantasy and have dreamed of creating my own world for a long time.

I was inspired by various D&D homebrew maps, amazed at what one could create just by giving name to a place.

I've only just started building this map and plan to have it much more populated when I'm done with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fantasy_map_1567464024870 - Edited.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	9.30 MB 
ID:	117784

I would really appreciate any help and feedback from the experienced cartographers on this forum. I'm specifically looking for suggestions on biome placement and how populated does the map need to be, considering it's a pangea as opposed to multiple continents.

(I'm using a online map creator to build this, which allows me to download the entire map as a .map file and upload it back up to the online software when I need to edit it, allowing me to access it on any computer i may be on. If anyone knows of similar software let me know as there are some options that I'm looking for that are not available on this tool)

The first thing that really stands out is all the wild font differences. And with the placement of "Dalaroque" it looks more like its the name of the ocean than it is the name of this region.

The second is I feel like it needs a legend, or for the symbolic elements to be scaled up where they are more readable. For instance I'm assuming all the tiny green triangles are pine forests/trees, but I'm not really certain, especially when contrasted to the very clear deciduous trees.

It's a really great start, I like the rivers and the mountains, and I really appreciate the inclusion of a scale in the corner.

The first thing that really stands out is all the wild font differences. And with the placement of "Dalaroque" it looks more like its the name of the ocean than it is the name of this region.

The second is I feel like it needs a legend, or for the symbolic elements to be scaled up where they are more readable. For instance I'm assuming all the tiny green triangles are pine forests/trees, but I'm not really certain, especially when contrasted to the very clear deciduous trees.

It's a really great start, I like the rivers and the mountains, and I really appreciate the inclusion of a scale in the corner.

Thanks for checking my map out!

A legend is indeed something i have thought of adding. I thought adding it to the map more towards the end of it being completed would let me be more comprehensive.

I didn't think about leaving space for the main region name and didn't realize it until well into the creation.

Would you say that it needs to pop and catch the eye of the person looking at it?

Or would it be better if i have it under or above the legend as a simple title?
    Last edited by Thane; 09-26-2019 at 05:05 AM.