Thread: Bonjour !

Default Bonjour !

Good evening (french local time), I'm Yul, a french amator cartograph, and I wish to apologize for my english skills.

I'm playing to a geopolitic rpg game based on forum in french, a game where I've got to rule and create my one fictionnal nation. I studied geography at the university and I like a lot mapping and create my own little universe.

I'm poor, and in order to create my maps, I learnt to use gimp by myself. I'm now one of the most popular cartograph, using real reliefs (the Alps most of the time) in order to create maps for other players... More than that, I'm one of the geograph of the game, I had for exemple to create maps for global climats, or tectonic.

Here's a exemple of the kind of maps I create :

I'm trying now to create other kinds of map, like fantasy maps, or other... I discovered your forum through a tutorial on youtube made from one of your members, the Astro-Map Tutorial

I'm trying now to install wilbur, but i've got a lot of problem with the installation, and would need help. Wilbur seems to be very usefull, and I would be very happy to use it. It seems that your forum host a kind of support for this software, but I can't make a research, because I'm posting my very forst message on cartographersguild; probably not the last

Thank you!

Bon.

Because I don't know where to post it, I will use this thread in order to present my first project, and my strategy. As I told you yesterday, I'm playing to a geopolitical french role play based on forum; I've got in this game to create and rule my own nation. I choosed territories in the north of what is supposed to be Asia, and I play a baltic and uralic country inspired by Estonia, Latvia, Finland, Carelia and Lapland (I don't know the proper word to call it in English, sorry if there Saam people on this forum).

I tried to map my country a lot of time, and have never been completely satisfied. I would like to try again with Wilbur and theAstro-maping concept.

First of all, I present you the official general map of the region :
    https://nsm09.casimages.com/img/2019...1216468073.png

In blue, the sea.
    In green, what is supposed to be the taïga (it can be larger).
    In brown, mountains (more than 2200 m high). In white, country-land, max 2199m heigh.
    In grey, the borders.
    In purple, the polar circle.
    I'm free to create small island and small lake, as long as it isn't bigger than a square.

The original map is smaller, but I want to work on a big one in order to have a lot of details.

My first step was to clean all of this, in order to conserve only the general lines :
    https://nsm09.casimages.com/img/2019...1216468072.png

What I want to do now is to fill all the lands with images of nebulosa, like a puzzle.

I will present here my work, step by step. If you've got any suggestion in order to help me to build this map, or if you want to try do build one and propose it, I would be pleased.

Bonjour, beavenue, my French is only at a cereal box level though (Cereal box french happens when you live in Canada and know some of the words by association but never speak it).

You are welcome to post your map project in the Regional Mapping section if you want to get more chance of it being noticed as it evolves.

In English we might call those people groups Finnish (specifically from Finland) or Norse, Nordic, Norwegian (from Norway), Scandinavian (blanket term for people from Denmark, Norway, or Sweden), Baltic (Blanket term for people from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania).
    Last edited by Tiana; 10-17-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

All right, I will do that. So far, my test is a big fail, I choosed pictures of nebulosa with to many stars, it looks more like a bad crepe with Wilbur. But I won't give up!

Thank you for your advices!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Coma Esta? That's as close to French as I can get! lol

Welcome to the Guild, Hope you stick around and participate in some of the monthly challenges we have.

Del

Blog Entries

Question Bonjour

Bonjour,

I really enjoy your map. I'm curious how you created the height map to show the elevation of the mountains. I see that you used gimp, but what tool or tools did you use? If it's too difficult to write your steps then please don't worry. I'm working on a map that I hope someday will be able to include something similar to yours. Right now my map is more of a satellite view.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Hemdrall

Hi, and thank you!

@Hemdrall Itham
    I used gimp 2.10 and made several copies of this map :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alpes.gif 
Views:	40 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	118284

Import it in gimp, supress all the blue, blacks, etc... keep the green and the mountains. Copy it. This is the first stair.
    Supress the green, copy the rest, you'll have the second stair.
    Supress the yellow, copy the rest, you'll have the third stair, etc...

Is my explaination understandable?

How do you call a mille-feuille in english?
    Last edited by Yul; 10-21-2019 at 01:16 AM.