Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Finished Maps Thumbs

Blog Entries

Yeah I was saying such a thing in #41. Its just too big now aint it. I have image caching on in my browser and yet it does not cache the images properly any more. I think its burnt through the 10Mb or whatever it has for a cache and is cycling through them now. That's not good for site bandwidth as well. I could make the images smaller if that would be better. I might speak with Arcana / CLs on this issue too and see what we come up with.

Blog Entries

Check out the new listings. Any probs gimme a post !

Blog Entries

All works fine for me. Great stuff.

I hope this makes it easier for you to update them now. Although I would guess you need to run it nine times now instead of one?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Works great!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Works great, but I think there's a typo on this page: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ut...ishedMaps3.htm

The page title says Finished Maq WIP ...

Thanks for all the hard work you put into these, Redrobes

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

Firstly its about as easy as always to update it. From my recent OS reinstall I didnt have my perl magick set up right so that was the pain yesterday but its alright now. Theres a windows 2003 / XPx64 based install bug in it.

It still takes ages. I first run the index scripter which looks at all the thread topics on the whole site which is pretty slow then it builds up the list of finished map threads to check. Then it has to fetch each of those looking for the image to use then in the new cases it has to download all the new images and then builds the finished maps page. Now I run a splitter on that which chops it into 9 or so pages which takes about a second. Its still the fetching bit thats slow so I do it now and again.

The splitter copies the header from the all thumbs page so that typo is on all of the pages. I'll fix that in a mo and it will propagate on to the site next run. But thanks for pointing it out.

If your new to these thumbs then also check out the other indexes in my sig as they are now up to date as of yesterday too. If you think I need more topics in the keyword index then let me know. They are generally terrain / map types and popular software packages used. You can use the forum keywords as well to search on stuff but mine is done by word in title.

EDIT - oh yeah about the cache thing. I discovered that I turned the cache off so that if the image changes then you dont have to flush the cache. That was for the compo entries but I think in the finished and choice maps case it ought to be cached I think.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-20-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Are you still running the thingamajig for thumbs? Just wondering since only one of my finished maps shows up...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think Redrobes has to do it himself. I tried to figure out how to update it but couldn't.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Yeah I drive it but the finished thumbs I have to run manually. It takes ages as it has to run through all of the threads indexing them then runs through all the finished threads fetching all the entries and looking to see whether they have changed. All the new ones get updated. I run it every couple of months so it will get indexed in time. We have done some of the scripting on the server side but the finished maps is too big to let it do it. The server is one of the ISPs not a personal PC. We cant get it tied up for ages whilst it does our stuff.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Gotcha. I was just wondering; no biggie.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast