Thread: National Novel Writing Month

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Plus I'm just terrible at finishing things.
    Yup so am I. :0

That said I don't think just writing filler is a bad thing. First drafts are just a block in. I don't think when writing it one can really reliably determine what is filler and what is not because most of it is just going to be hot garbage until they start editing and refining it. Although it occurs to me that this could quite likely be just me.

In any case you convinced me to convince myself, I should give this a shot. There's no harm in starting things, and the harm in not finishing them is a separate entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    There's no harm in starting things, and the harm in not finishing them is a separate entity.
    Amen! You can never finish what you don't start; a garden unplanted will simply never produce. Though many other plagues may come and rains may stay away, they'll cause no harm to the garden left unsowed.

I'm probably gonna write the stupid novel that I've been vaguely planting the seeds of in my brain all year, even if it's not the continuation of the novel I think I need to finish.

Even if I only participate on this forum's community instead of the central community, I should still plant my novel.

I don't think when writing it one can really reliably determine what is filler and what is not because most of it is just going to be hot garbage until they start editing and refining it. Although it occurs to me that this could quite likely be just me.
    Pretty much every writer ever is a terrible judge of the quality of their own work while writing it. I'm willing to bet there's more gems in there than you realize, you're just blinded to the ability to step outside of your own work and enjoy it as an outsider. My feelings about what I've written are generally a reflection of how I feel at the time of writing and not about the actual writing. Anyway, you need to have something to edit to be able to sculpt it into something good, even if it's hot garbage.

Do it! Write a thing!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!