Thread: New member here!

Default New member here!

Hi all,
    New member here. I'm a complete noob in making maps, but I'm very much interested in it. I found this awesome website from this thread in Affinity forum.
    I'm a graphic designer and recently I switched from Illustrator to Affinity Designer. I'm not sure whether that program is a good choice for making vector maps. But I really want to try something on it.

If anyone has tips for me, they're most welcome!
    Have a great day.

Hi there! Glad you found your way over here.

I've leaned towards Affinity Designer for some time now, and I personally find it more comfortable to work with than Illustrator. I use it for pretty much all vector work I do (which, to be fair, really isn't a lot). So far I haven't been able to move away from Photoshop, though I know a lot of people are fond of Affinity Photo too these days... I just know my way around PS so well that it's really hard to step outside of that comfort zone. AfDe was maybe different because I never used Illustrator enough to really get good with it.
    I can't say I've ever used AfDe for mapping, nor do I really have much interest to as I like to paint and texture my maps in a way that vector graphics just can't do, but if I ever needed to make vector maps it would definitely be my tool of choice. I think it's a good program already, and it has the makings of a really great one eventually. The thing I like about the Affinity crew is that they actually listen to their users when updating and developing the software further.

Sorry I don't have any more insight than this... I'd actually be really interested to see how someone would use AfDe for maps, so if you ever get around to making any, let me know.
    In any case, welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thanks for your warm welcome! @Kellerica