Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lands of Greyvast

Map The Lands of Greyvast

Well, apparently I forgot to post a finished map thread for this challenge map.
    So I need to do that now, before I post the map that follows this one.

I love the Random Generator challenges. I think I've been in all of them so far.
    They're just so much fun. And I get good results form those. Harlasea, Iri-Oriand
    Anyway, this time I decided to try to be ridiculous and use all of the prompts in one map.
    It mostly worked. You can see all that business over on the wip thread.

After I finished that map, it lead me to further development of the lands. I just really liked the feel and concept.
    I'll address more of that in the upcoming thread for Formene, which I'm going to post right after this one.
    I've developed some further info for the lands. Again, this is a place that relates to Time, in my world's stories.
    Time is a character, a personality, not merely a concept.
    In fact, Time is the first being.

Over the infinite spans, Time has created many lands to occupy itself.
    Many of these lands have points where they overlap, or connect in some way.
    Often by portals or pathways, but not in a normal direct physical way.
    It's part of a larger concept in my tales called the Weave.
    It is a different part of space and time, and in many ways outside of standard physical space.

And that's an important part of many stories.
    Anyway, I need to put together a larger post on the blog sometime.
    Patrons have already gotten some of this in patreon posts.
    The patreon support definitely helps with these larger, longer projects.

Look out for the Formene post. I'll come back and link it after I make that post.
    Anyways, here's the Greyvast map. Have a great Christmas. Cheers, J

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lands of Greyvast by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	119338
    Last edited by J.Edward; 12-16-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Superb cartographic craftsmanship as always; love the mountain shading, cliff techniques, and canyons!

Quote Originally Posted by OUdaveguy98 View Post
    Superb cartographic craftsmanship as always; love the mountain shading, cliff techniques, and canyons!
    Thanks so much Dave

One of the most impressive of your maps, for me. I just can't believe the incredible amount of details there, and it's always such an pleasure as soon as you post a side-map of all those towns and little settlements.
    Magical !

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I like how things look further away closer to the to of the page! Excellent as always!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Another world class piece John!

The perspective is great, almost like some deity looking across the world. There are so many hidden little details that I'm sure I've missed some, but loving the serpent below "Nagris" and the smoke rising from the trees above the word Forest in "Llani Forest"!

Very cool map!

Another fine piece, John I really like these vertical maps of yours; does this layout have a name? column maps? banner maps? As others have said, the level of detail you've included is fantastic.

My only nitpick is that some of the labels are a bit hard to see.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    One of the most impressive of your maps, for me. I just can't believe the incredible amount of details there, and it's always such an pleasure as soon as you post a side-map of all those towns and little settlements.
    Magical !
    Thank you Beee
    I was really satisfied with this one, though I need to back off of the tall vertical maps. At least for a bit. ;P
    If I can find the time, I want to make a little pdf booklet of the Greyvast stuff and background info.
    I suppose, in a small way, that would constitute my first book. So now it will take me forever, since i said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I like how things look further away closer to the to of the page! Excellent as always!
    Thanks Arimel
    Perspective is just practice over time for me.
    I have improved a lot with practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Another world class piece John!

The perspective is great, almost like some deity looking across the world. There are so many hidden little details that I'm sure I've missed some, but loving the serpent below "Nagris" and the smoke rising from the trees above the word Forest in "Llani Forest"!
    Thank you Greg
    I love adding all of those details. It's like I'm discovering things as I work.
    I feel bad that I haven't gotten all of the story written up yet.
    The serpent is a basilisk that controls a large area.
    Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Very cool map!
    Thanks QED
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Another fine piece, John I really like these vertical maps of yours; does this layout have a name? column maps? banner maps? As others have said, the level of detail you've included is fantastic.

My only nitpick is that some of the labels are a bit hard to see.

Wingshaw
    Thanks George
    Hehe, it's the "doesn't fit properly on one screen or one page" style layout. ;D
    It's two standard pages, but instead of placed side by side, they are placed top to bottom.
    So, super tall and narrow. If I had done it side by side, it would fit properly in a book.
    Live and learn. I never think about that when i am just starting a map for fun.
    It's a bit of a bad habit.

Incredibly well detailed, beautiful and bold. As usual, a wonderfully inspirational piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast