Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nov-Dec 2019 Challenge: Somewhere in Guildworld

Wrecks?! This is flying already John! Love the perspective and colours...and that border...amazing!

Wow...
    As usual, I love your coastlines and the frame is splendid.
    The color palette & shading is taking it to another level, with a perfect render of the sea theme.

Map The Celestial Shoal

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Wrecks?! This is flying already John! Love the perspective and colours...and that border...amazing!
    Thanks Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Wow...
    As usual, I love your coastlines and the frame is splendid.
    The color palette & shading is taking it to another level, with a perfect render of the sea theme.
    Thanks Ilanthar
    This one was different, as I don't usually go with colors like this.
    It proved interesting to work with.

Ok. I think this one is done.
    I finally came to a name and an idea of the backstory.
    I'm viewing this as The Celestial Shoal, which is an archipelago somewhere out in the Munnen Saer.
    It is part of the Alter, the otherealms that surround and connect to Guildworld in various places, such as out in the sea.
    There are connections in Nahadua, in Chashio's Fey Country [i suspect], and various other places, such as the underground of the city of Guild.
    [There are known connections in the ward of Chiezbehrg and the ward of whispers.]

The Celestial Shoal is a meeting place between many streams into the Alter, and of various layers of the otherealms.
    This is a strange and wild place, borne of unique magics and unusual forces.
    Many things find their way onto the islands, and at times, on into the waking world.

I still need to work on more backstory details, which I'll try to have ready for posting the finished map.
    But, here's the current state, complete, as far as I can see.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Celestial Shoal by jstevenson.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	7.51 MB 
ID:	119548
    Last edited by J.Edward; 12-28-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Nicely done J. The extra effort put in frame makes the map shine more and i really like the colours you chose here. Makes it more mysterious, dark and Cthulhu-ish
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

If I peek through the veil, I can see the other side.
    Just look at the map carefully for a few hours and you start to see things...
    Dacing, innommable, getting closer.
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-29-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Very nice J! I personally love the way you're playing with color! That frame though... SO MUCH DROOL...

This is a beauty. No need to mention the border nor the parchment, but what obsess me here are the relief and texture of the land part. That king of work only G. can do !
    ^^

The backstory you have already really shows in the eerie feel of the map and I agree with the others about the lovecraftian atmosphere but with a way more fantasy/fairy note. Awesome piece (not a surprise) with a lot of atmosphere (not a surprise either ).

Thanks all. This was a good challenge to jump in on.
    I almost went in a totally different direction, which may have been cool as well, but this one let me mess with some things I needed to deal with.
    So it was already a success for me. Still needs more work and practice to master that terrain, but this one was so much faster than it usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Nicely done J. The extra effort put in frame makes the map shine more and i really like the colours you chose here. Makes it more mysterious, dark and Cthulhu-ish
    Thanks Voolf
    I have some folks wanting Lovecraftian themed maps, so I wanted to get a bit of practice in on a different feel than more norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    If I peek through the veil, I can see the other side.
    Just look at the map carefully for a few hours and you start to see things...
    Dacing, innommable, getting closer.
    Thanks Azelor
    Yes, that might be part of the next phase of the Guildworld..... [mysterious music plays in the background]
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Very nice J! I personally love the way you're playing with color! That frame though... SO MUCH DROOL...
    Thanks Domino
    I need to do that more. Get out of that comfort zone. nods.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    This is a beauty. No need to mention the border nor the parchment, but what obsess me here are the relief and texture of the land part. That king of work only G. can do !
    ^^
    Thank you Beee
    Yes, that needs to be done more often.
    I get comm requests every so often for more like that.
    But it's normally so involved and time consuming.
    Hopefully I am getting better and faster enough with it that it can be more viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The backstory you have already really shows in the eerie feel of the map and I agree with the others about the lovecraftian atmosphere but with a way more fantasy/fairy note. Awesome piece (not a surprise) with a lot of atmosphere (not a surprise either ).
    Thanks Thomas
    I always enjoying trying something new, or at least somewhat different.
    So this one was fun on several levels.
    Mainly just glad to have the time to join in here on the Guild.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12