Thread: Village of Antlers

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Map Village of Antlers

My entry for the August 2019 challenge, “random fantasy generator.” My prompt was “Somewhere in the Sharbadush Highlands. The air is filled with the scent of wildflowers.” I only had a handful of days to complete the map, so the version I posted as final for the challenge wasn’t quite. I made some additional fixes and added some names that will be relevant to my D&D campaign.

The Village of Antlers is a small human village deep within the Great Woods of Penryth. To the traveler, it appears suddenly in the midst of thick forest. The southern road is little more than a deerpath south of the Whispering Stones (themselves not visible through the forest, and soon the footpath to them will be swallowed entirely by the press of trees). Few outsiders make it to Antlers; most who do are furriers on the way to or from the Icelands to the northwest. The village clan chief is Jaen of Antlers, a ranger who rides a mighty elk.

This was first drawn with pencil on paper, then ported over to Photoshop for editing and coloring. Font is Pieces of Eight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antlers v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	944.8 KB 
ID:	119505

Find me on
    DeviantArt

My first thought upon hearing of a place called "Village of Antlers" is to be careful where you sit down when visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    My first thought upon hearing of a place called "Village of Antlers" is to be careful where you sit down when visiting.

Find me on
    DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    the borders are cute!
    Thanks! Wildflowers were part of the prompt, so I thought they'd make a fun border.

Find me on
    DeviantArt

Very cute little village. Those flower fields are a wonderful addition! One thing that catches my eye, though, is how those (non-flower) fields kind of look like they have a throw shadow beneath them? Not sure if that is what it actually is, but makes them look like they're floating above the ground. Other than that, nice work!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.