Thread: Western lands of Hyborian's Age

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Map Western lands of Hyborian's Age

Greetings to all Cartographers!

I want to show you my latest work. It's hand-drawn map of western kingdoms of the Conan Barbarian universe.
    Mixed technique: Pilot Parallel Pens, Pilot Plumix Pens, Promarkers, colored pencils (Faber Castell Polychromos), Pigma Micron.
    Oryginal format: B2 (70,7x50cm).

The map is in Polish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	western_lands.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	119508

Hi-Res scan here

I don't have much experience with the top-down perspective., so I'm interested in your opinion. What could I improve in my drawing technique? Do you like this map?

Yours sincerely
    Impractical Cartographer

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Your style here is very nice! I like the way you have done the mountains and their shading and the color for the forests look cool. The one suggestion that I would make would be in regard to rivers. Firstly, the river on the right side of the page seems to have less shading on it than the others which looks a bit strange. Second, the river at the very bottom of the page. It instantly drew my eye because it looks a bit strange. The right angle looks really off on the map.

However, this map looks awesome!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    ...the river at the very bottom of the page. It instantly drew my eye because it looks a bit strange. The right angle looks really off on the map.
    Well, this is the river Styx . That's how Robert E. Howard described this river.

This looks great! Meticulous artwork and I especially enjoy the careful lettering. This must've taken you a while. Very impressive! Have some rep, and once more welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

A very cool map, for sure, and such an interesting style ! It reminds me a lot another great map maker we used to have on the Guild some time ago, using a close technic and style, and coincidently (or not ?) coming from Poland as well ^^
    Anyway, and as told : great work. The mountains look great, the parchment is perfect, cities are just what the map needed, and I love the texture of the colored pencils. Maybe some extra work on the forests, and slighly less 'strong' rivers could be details to consider, but all what I can say is I can't wait to see more of your work

Thank you for your kind words.

The forest regions... I think it was a mistake to draw them on a map of this scale and from this perspective. I think I should play more with colors rather than shape to illustrate the woodland.

The rivers - You're absolutely right. I promise to do better next time.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice work! I'm in awe because I'm unable to draw in colour other than on a computer! As far as perspective is concerned, I think your mountains are very good... But maybe you could have worked a little more on the forests and the coasts to give them a little more relief (especially with more marked shadows)?

Very attractive!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh