Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another thread about tablets

Wacom tablets are kinda pricey. The most affordable would be the Cintiq 16 (non pro) but Xp pen and Huion have similar tablets for much cheaper.
    The models would be the Wacom Cintic 16, Xp Pen Artist 15.6 pro and Huion Kamvas pro 16.
    I spent a few hours browsing reviews and I'm still not sure if the Wacom is worth the extra cost.

Some people are complaining about Photoshop CS6 and older versions not working with some models (Xp pen and Huion) but I haven't seen anything for Wacom.
    I'd like to keep my CS6 but I guess as some people pointed out, it's getting old and will not remain compatible forever.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-05-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Wacom tablets are kinda pricey. The most affordable would be the Cintiq 16 (non pro) but Xp pen and Huion have similar tablets for much cheaper.
    The models would be the Wacom Cintic 16, Xp Pen Artist 15.6 pro and Huion Kamvas pro 16.
    I spent a few hours browsing reviews and I'm still not sure if the Wacom is worth the extra cost.

Some people are complaining about Photoshop CS6 and older versions not working with some models (Xp pen and Huion) but I haven't seen anything for Wacom.
    I'd like to keep my CS6 but I guess as some people pointed out, it's getting old and will not remain compatible forever.
    I'm leaning towards the Cintiq pro 16. Heard about delay problems (that seem to have been solved) but the main point of interest for me was the 4K display (I work with a Macbook pro and it seems it allows for such a high quality). It is not a cheap tool but this resolution might be good for me. I have to find a store near me to try it out before testing it. I know MistyBeee and - JO - are
    working with one and, like Vincent here, I'd love to hear some feedback from them.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I did not had any delay issue... or It's due to the computer, when I fill large surface with the pen (it's getting old). I'm very happy with it and I couldn't work with another tablet now...
    I had some troubles with the loss of the stylet pressure after an update, but I could find the soluce on several websites, and it has been a while now that I hadn't this issue again
    I did not know about 4k (maybe because I have it for more than two years, now, I think... And I didn't bother about that at that time. I don't think my laptop can produce a 4K image, so it's not an issue for me...

As I said earlyer, I could find one cheap enough, because it was a second hand (but nearly brand new) (c'était sur le bon coin, un gars l'avait reçue, testée, et il voulait la plus grande)

I'm still using an old version of photoshop, as are several other members who have cintiqs.
    I'm not sure if there is actually a compatibility issue or not.
    Maybe it's only with really new versions of the cintiq.
    My cintiq is admittedly a few years old.

I used a Bamboo for a number of years before switching to an IPad. Honestly now I don’t think I could go back to not drawing on a screen. It just feels so much more natural. I’m not familiar with using something like a Cintiq though.

- Josh

As a person who has both a large Intuos and a Cintiq Companion I have to say I use both and i like both.

I get slightly different results so it depends on what I'm after. Painting with the Cintiq is more like working on traditional mediums however it's NOT the same. The feel is different because the screen isn't paper or whatever.
    Pen nibs can help with the feel but if that's an issue for you just be aware.

Also, at times I like using my Intous because my hand never gets in the way of my vision. By that I mean, I can see very clearly where the tip of the pen is up on my monitor. Even tho the Cintiq is more natural you do still have a bit of 3 dimensional adjustment to make because the "glass" is a bit higher than the "page" (if that makes sense).

Those adjustments are easy to make but since you already use a drawing tablet you don't have to relearn that. For the money, I'd get a larger tablet if I where you.

Plus, what happens if your Cintiq screen dies or gets some dead pixels? I have one on mine and it's annoying as heck. It's like a white sheet before you paint and oh wait, there's a spot already on it.

I also know a guy who uses his Cintiq as a second monitor but almost never uses it to paint with.

Having said that, I'm not sorry I bought my Cintiq companion, I do enjoy it and I like being able to go sit on the couch or paint at the beach (risky obviously). Of course, a regular Cintiq wouldn't allow you to go sit on the couch. It seems the regular Cintiqs would take up possibly valuable desk space. Granted it's impressive as heck and everyone will "oooh and ahhhh" when they see it.

I'm not a professional artist and I don't make my living with them but that's my two cents worth. At the time when I bought my Cintiq I thought it would be 100 times better than my Intuos. I like it but it's no where near 100 times better.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12