Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another thread about tablets

Discuss Another thread about tablets

I've been considering buying a new tablet for a while now.
    I still use my Bambom Wacom (8-9 years old).
    The main issue is the small size. The pencil is going in the ''no mans land'' too often, so I need something bigger.
    That is obvious but the other thing that I was wondering is if it is worth the extra money to have a screen?

I could go for a much larger tablet without screen. Bamboo is smaller than the cheapest tablet sold on the market, so it's not hard to get something larger.
    Or do I go with a slightly bigger one (bigger than what I have now) but with a screen.

There are a bunch of models available and I think some models with screen might fit into my budget, but I can be flexible.

How much of a difference does it make to have a screen?
    Are there any pro/semi-pro that prefer to use a table without screen?

For my money, I think the screen is worth it. It just makes your workflow so much more natural. But then again, if you've been using your old one for that many years, I imagine you're used to using a screenless tablet - I can honestly say I never got the hang of using one. I always felt like I needed to completely re-learn how to draw, and I had a couple of weird "dead angles" that my hand never got used to (like, I'd try to draw a line at a certain -20-ish degree angle and for some reason I'd just always land a good 10-15 degrees off, and I had to re-do it several times before I got it right) which were 100% my own problem and not issue with the actual tablet. Drawing lineart for mountains and the like for a map took literally two or three days as I'd have to do every single one twice or thrice before they looked even somewhat finished. With the Cintiq, all of these problems went away and my workflow got about three times faster. I finally started getting some maps finished, and actually improving at freehand drawing stuff.

So yeah, for me the Cintiq has been a life saver. I invested in the 22HD model, which is not the cheapest one out there, and I've never regretted it. But like I said, I always had a lot of trouble with the regular tablet, and I know a lot of people can use those very effectively. I guess it boils down to, how much of a headache is that old Bamboo giving you now?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

You said you've been using a bamboo for 8-9 years so I think you'd be better off just getting a larger regular tablet. It won't interrupt your workflow any but you'll no longer feel constrained by the small tablet size. But then if you want to move to a screen tablet, it's worth a try. You've always got the bamboo to fall back on while you adjust to it.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

I still use my Wacom Bamboo, haha so I don't know what to recommend to you.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

There are some good reviews of non-wacom screen tablets that are certainly less expensive than wacoms.
    I find my cintiq to be much as Kell described and my experience with my old graphire tablet was similar. Never really got the hang of it.
    That said, I have heard many who like the standard tablets better for several reasons, including better posture and hand/arm positioning.
    I know i get neck and shoulder tension and pain from sitting for so long in the position i am in using my cintiq.
    And looking at an lcd screen so close for so many hours may also contribute to my headaches, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    For my money, I think the screen is worth it. It just makes your workflow so much more natural. But then again, if you've been using your old one for that many years, I imagine you're used to using a screenless tablet - I can honestly say I never got the hang of using one. I always felt like I needed to completely re-learn how to draw, and I had a couple of weird "dead angles" that my hand never got used to (like, I'd try to draw a line at a certain -20-ish degree angle and for some reason I'd just always land a good 10-15 degrees off, and I had to re-do it several times before I got it right) which were 100% my own problem and not issue with the actual tablet. Drawing lineart for mountains and the like for a map took literally two or three days as I'd have to do every single one twice or thrice before they looked even somewhat finished. With the Cintiq, all of these problems went away and my workflow got about three times faster. I finally started getting some maps finished, and actually improving at freehand drawing stuff.

So yeah, for me the Cintiq has been a life saver. I invested in the 22HD model, which is not the cheapest one out there, and I've never regretted it. But like I said, I always had a lot of trouble with the regular tablet, and I know a lot of people can use those very effectively. I guess it boils down to, how much of a headache is that old Bamboo giving you now?
    Accuracy is an issue for me with my actual tablet. It is extremely difficult to draw accurately object/line unless it is not too big.
    I can't draw straight lines with the tablet unless I use guides, yet it's pretty easy on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Accuracy is an issue for me with my actual tablet. It is extremely difficult to draw accurately object/line unless it is not too big.
    I can't draw straight lines with the tablet unless I use guides, yet it's pretty easy on paper.
    In that case, I'd definitely urge you to look into the display tablet department. I doubt you'll regret is. As J. pointed out, Wacom is by no means the only one who has these available and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I've just got myself an XP-Pen 15.6Pro which is a display tablet and that's been great so far. Prior to that though I had a Huion H610Pro for years and that is still a great tablet. I found this a good guide for quick comparison (for display tablets) https://www.brad.site/reviews/wacom-...ernatives.html but there are tons of reviews out there for every tablet so as long as you do a bit of research before deciding on one you should be fine.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I found a Cintiq pro 16 second hand that wasn't too expensive... I couldn't do without it, now

For what it's worth...
    I've watched trained artists (people with a BA in Art or an MFA) while they are drawing/painting (traditional media).
    They usually block in the scene while looking at the scene rather than the paper/canvas.
    But when it comes to the details, they watch what they are drawing with only occasional glances at the scene.

Perhaps the moral of this little bit is that watching what you are drawing in a more 'natural' process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast