Thread: A map inspired by the Witcher (hand-drawn)

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Default A map inspired by the Witcher (hand-drawn)

The Northern Kingdoms of the Witcher's universe.
    Colored pencils, promarkers, pens & inks.
    Original dimension: 70,7x50 cm.

I have some reluctance to show you this map. I consider it more like a concept-art than a completed map.
    First of all, I wanted to see what Glagolitic script will look like on the map. And I'm not satisfied - I think these letters takes up too much space. And they are difficult to calligraphy - but I guess that's because of my lack of experience.

Secondly, I wanted to try out new coloured pencils - koh-i-noor polycolor. And... Well, I guess I'll stay loyal to Faber Castell Polychromos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiesiek-m.jpg 
Views:	1917 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	119695

But I'm showing you this map because I don't want to draw into a drawer anymore

So I'm interested in your opinions, comments and advice.

Sincerely
    Impractical Cartographer

i kind of love the colours and composition! just the way the mountains peek over the forests

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Those colors look really nice, particularly the mountains and forests. I would have assumed they were watercolors with how the mountain fading works if you had not mentioned colored pencils. This may be something to look into....

This colour pencils drawing takes me back to my childhood. Of course i did not use them as well as you do. Splendid map. Thanks for sharing. You have a great talent.

Ps. A gdzie Skellige ?
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Ps. A gdzie Skellige ?
    Wyspy Skelige odsunąłem lekko od brzegów Kontynentu, więc się nie zmieściły na mapie. Ot, taka moja fanaberia

(All other users of the forum: I beg your pardon. Just two Poles exchange opinions about the Witcher )

Thanks for the kind words.

Another splendid one, IG !
    I can understand what you say about the labels : they're maybe a little too preeminent here, but it's also one thing I love on the map and a part of its charm. In addition, they're so neat, clean and well planned with their white outline, no-one could think they're a fault
    The only thing which bother me a liiiittle bit is how the mountains stop on the top of the map along the border. Just a detail though, which don't prevent me to be still totally addicted to your style, or to think your towns are the cutest and most perfect I ever seen on a traditional map ^^
    Welcome out of the drawer, dear IG. It's wonderful to have you here !

I like it. For some reason that script makes me think of Ethiopia, I swear I've seen that sort of writing in pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I like it. For some reason that script makes me think of Ethiopia, I swear I've seen that sort of writing in pictures.
    Both Coptic and Glagolitic alphabet are based on the Greek alphabet, so it's no wonder they seem similar to you

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Another splendid one...
    Merci beaucoup.

Default A little commentary.

Long story short - another impractical map by game fans.
    BTW Skellige should be lower on map, not in front of Cintra.