Thread: Clovermoon

Default Clovermoon

Welcome to Clovermoon, the highest hamlet in the Hemlock Hills! After residents of a smattering of highland towns found themselves in a friendly tavern dispute over just which hamlet possessed the most virtue, excitement, and all-around goodness, a contest was proposed to determine once and for all which village was best. After a series of surveys and assessments of dubious scientific quality, the Hamlet of Clovermoon declared themselves victorious in at least one aspect of the contest: which village could claim that they rest at the highest elevation. No word has yet emerged as to their placement in the contest overall...

I was inspired for this map by an NPR story about a pair of actual highland Scottish towns that went to great lengths to demonstrate that they were the highest villages in the country. It was so delightfully quaint I just had to use the idea for a map. So here is the result, a map that hopefully carries a certain whimsical, every-knows-everyone's-name kind of homeyness.

Hope you enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clovermoon_Final.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	120682

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

What would life be like without those friendly disputes???

Great idea and map!
    awww man, cant rep yet.

I can't rep either but nice map. Maybe a little shading/highlighting on the cliffs is the only suggestion I would give.

Great map, GWN, and fun concept I'm inclined to agree with QED42 about the shading and the cliffs, and I'd also suggest for future that you include a legend rather than adding labels right on top of the buildings. But, overall, a very nice piece!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Looks like a cosy little town (apart from the tavern disputes). A very fine map, GWN!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really love this type of map: with a top view and a side view at the same time! I find these maps very difficult to make, at least to get an aesthetic and balanced result... I've been trying to draw one for a while, but without success so far.
    You've been particularly successful in this transition from one view to another: the simplest solution is often the best! Bravo for this beautiful map!

Thanks for the input and support everyone!

QED42
    I can't rep either but nice map. Maybe a little shading/highlighting on the cliffs is the only suggestion I would give.
    Wingshaw
    Great map, GWN, and fun concept I'm inclined to agree with QED42 about the shading and the cliffs, and I'd also suggest for future that you include a legend rather than adding labels right on top of the buildings. But, overall, a very nice piece!

Wingshaw
    Thanks for the comments! Good suggestions on the cliffs. They do have some highlighting and shading, but you're both right, they could use some more. One issue that I overlooked is that they both mostly face the sun direction, so without changing their fundamental design, there wasn't a ton that I wanted to do that would make sense in that regard.

Also, I did think about the legend as well. It's one thing I struggle back and forth on in city maps. For a large city it can make a lot of sense to aggregate the building names in a legend, but since I already wanted to do the front-on view, I ultimately decided against giving the map view another place to go for information. I don't like that the labels cover some of the building work, but for this map in particular I preferred that to the alternative.

This is lovely Zach, I especially like the soft palette you chose.

Most of all, I love the front view, especially the clock. That's where I would have hidden my logo, perhaps. And the lil colored doors.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

"The Highest Hamlet in Hemlock Hills" You deserve all the rep I can give you, just for the alliteration, but this map and the accompanying artwork is beautiful, as well.