Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Map Just a hand-drawn map for Warhammer Fantasy

Fragment of the Warhammer's Empire

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	altdorf-middenheim-small.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	120103

Hand-drawn, ink & wodkacolours (watercolors + vodka for shading).

I've been playing WHRP for years. And I needed a good map for me and my players. So I sat down and drew this map.

I wanted to maintain the atmosphere of the first edition of the WFRP. That's why I decided to draw only with black ink. Besides, I wanted the map to look like authentic 16th-18th century maps.

I'm planning more sheets, so all your comments are welcome.

Yours sincerely
    Impractical Cartographer
    Last edited by Impractical Cartographer; 01-29-2020 at 02:15 PM. Reason: There were some strange artifacts on the image. I posted a better version of the jpg file.

DANG. Just looking at this gave me carpal tunnel! Haha, jk, but seriously, that's a LOT of trees!! And it paid off. Very cool map.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That is a lot of trees. I more fully understand the post on the 'too many trees' page now! The map looks excellent though!

As impressive as your work always is! I too admire your stamina for these trees...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

So many trees... it's crazy! The impression it gives is really grandiose!

Yeah, those trees are like one of those optical illusions that cause your eyes to fry (drawing them I mean). Great looking map!

I think you said it was done traditionally, but if you are ever doing this style of forest digitally in the future you might want to look up "TreeThing". It's a little java program that @Ramah created a while back. It might save your sanity although I'm not sure if it's still functioning or if he's updated it or not, it probably still works. That link has a tutorial that should work and if I recall correctly you can use your own hand drawn stuff to do it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

This map is absolutely gorgeous. Also, that's a lotta vegetation. Did you break anything, halfway to completion? Because I definitely would have.

Now that's an humbling amount of trees !

A great map... and an impressive display of patience.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Thank you.
    I wonder what he could improve on the next map. I could definitely use more ornaments and improve calligraphy a little.
    I would also like to write the names of the cities in red ink and perhaps colour the rivers softly with blue watercolour.

And as for the trees, drawing them relaxes me Sometimes...

Impressive, breathtaking, really awesome... Feel free to add as many 'wow' words here : they would be all true ^^
    I say yes to red labels : they would make the map really pop. Maybe a little red detail on the towns landmarks as well... but this would need some experiments first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast