Thread: First city map: town of Maraudin / C&C welcome

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    This might be an odd question, but would roofs of connected buildings/rowhouses (from the front) look like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I would think the rain would pool badly in the spaces... would it make more sense for the roofs to be sloped to the front and back, possibly with dormers if you need windows in the attic area?

-Rob A>
    They 'could (and often did), look like this:

/\_/\_/\_/\
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wip

Thank you all for the good advice.

>> RobA, NeonKnight: I tried to create more "bars" of buildings rather than rows for the last blocks. That should make the roofs better at evacuating rainfall. However I do remember seeing in Scandinavia (Bergen comes to mind) many instances of roofs following the pattern /\/\/\/\, but they were probably built after the Middle-Ages (end of Renaissance?) and there were maybe some pipes to help evacuate the water.

>> Hoel: tack sa mycket for all the advice. I did not have the courage to re-do all the rows (and I actually meant to have an uniform-looking street on the main streets). I tried to complete the last blocks a little bit more chaotic.

As for the textures, I found myself unable to apply a satisfying pattern via the GIMP (which tells a lot about my skills with said-software). I applied the present textures with CC3: the backgrounds were changed to solid fills of different colours, and I applied the "texturise" sheet effect on their respective sheets, using some texture files from the "Shadowed relief" annual.

Next will be the adding of index and labels to identify the different blocks and important buildings... and applying the valuable recommendations that this assembly may provide, of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maraudin 1 20090308 lower res.PNG 
Views:	208 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	11098