Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Isometric Maps

I'd heard about Google Sketchup but never got round to actually trying it out. I'll take your advice and download the free version and give it a go! Blender is awesome but the learning curve is fairly steep. Thanks Misteradam

MisterAdam, I thank you... I've been using Sketchup for the pasy couple of nights and it's awesome! So simple, yet so effective...

I'll be posting some of my models shortly, so watch this space! All criticism accepted, so be brutal if you feel the need

Starting to get interested in Sketchup as well. I saw some very cool city maps that must have taken ages to create however.

Please do post your work when you get around to it. I want to see what people new to the software can do with it. I watched some tutorials on YouTube and it doesn't look like rocket science.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Here ya go folks: my first attempt at modelling in Sketchup...

For the last one I just used textures that come with the program (tinkering with the colours). I plan to drop these and future models into Photoshop for some proper texturing/painting. Comments welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Persian House 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	11872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Persian House 3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	11873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Persian House (Rear).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	11874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Persian House (Roof).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	11875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Persian House 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	625.8 KB 
ID:	11876  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yeah - lookin mighty fine. It will be interesting to see the proper textures. I usually use cgtextures.com stuff which has loads and loads of them to use.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin good so far. I guess if SU keeps gainin in popularity one of us will have to do up a proper tut for putting good skins on buildings.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Cheers guys! Steel General, Redrobes and Ascension, appreciate the props. Seeing you guys take an interest gives me extra incentive to produce more (not that I needed it)!

I need to digout CS2 from my cupboard as my computer almost died the other day and I need to reinstall it Once everything's up and running again I'll post some more.

Thanks again!

Peace

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Try not to let it (SU) take over your life like it did with me. One bit of advice, when making many large tube-like structures (like towers with sloping sides) it will cause the file size of the document to grow exponentially and make your pc chug its guts out. So make your towers straight...SU likes straight lines and flat planes.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice one Ascension, thanks for the tip! (That's the tip about the towers. I'm afraid it's too late regarding my instant addiction to SU... it just came up and slapped me in the face and said "You're my bitch now...")

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast