Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Isometric Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's a pic I did a long time ago of 2 towers...there were going to be 3 more until my pc couldn't handle it anymore. All those curves plus it was done to actual scale, something like 200 foot tall tower by 500 foot diameter pond...maybe that was what killed my drive. Anyway, just thought I'd share, hope you like it.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...8&d=1227073469
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's a pic I did a long time ago of 2 towers...there were going to be 3 more until my pc couldn't handle it anymore. All those curves plus it was done to actual scale, something like 200 foot tall tower by 500 foot diameter pond...maybe that was what killed my drive. Anyway, just thought I'd share, hope you like it.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...8&d=1227073469

Cool, yes I do like it! It looks pretty big and I'm not surprised your computer protested! Shame you didn't get it finished. Any plans along those lines? Maybe reduce the size a little?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think about it once in a while but I'm having so much fun mapping that I never have the time for anything but maps these days. Plus the towers aren't even close to done, lots of columns and pillars left to do...I'd be at it for a month straight and miss a challenge
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That's some great work fabio.
    And some stunning work from Ascension. I didn't know you had been messing with Sketchup as well. The software is indeed highly addictive and I have discontinued using it for the moment. I fear I am going to map every building in my cities and never get done
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I think about it once in a while but I'm having so much fun mapping that I never have the time for anything but maps these days. Plus the towers aren't even close to done, lots of columns and pillars left to do...I'd be at it for a month straight and miss a challenge

Ha ha! Yeah, I can see your point, Ascension. I've seen some of your maps and they're pretty darn awesome Although I can't help but think it could be really good if you ever did get round to finishin it...

Thanks for the props, Gandwarf! Appreciate it

awesome! I just started using sketchup myself a few weeks ago for a project at work, and it's a powerful little program.

One thing I have noticed is that grouping things together seems to create less lag. Wish I could post what I've been making, but I think someone would have me murdered for doing so.

There are a number of plugins that will render your scenes with realistic textures and lighting, most of them have free trials.

Good luck with this, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Guild Apprentice

For realistic lighting, try Kerkythea. It's entirely free, the link's in my sig (and remember you need the SketchUp to Kerkythea plugin, which can be found on that site as well).
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.

Thanks Novarri! I downloaded Kerkythea a while ago but haven't had the chance to really give it a go. The effects look pretty awesome from what I've seen. Some day soon...

Post a few comments

try surfer 8 for isometric mapping.... though not specifically for gaming it does offer 3d graphing from x,y,z sets... which can be rotated to any view you like ..... though i dont know about the transformations algorythms and whether they are isometric......... technically they aren't since x,y,z is 3d and you want 2d isometrically transformed to 3d...... correct??

anyways sorry to blather about .... just try google sketchup it rocks!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123