Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Southern Cities

I just love the feel of your maps. Well done. Have some rep.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks great - I love the colour scheme.

There's some weird horizontal/vertical striping on the Vantas and Neha mountains. Is this an artefact of the angular gradient fill that Gimp uses? If so, perhaps a little judicious smudging or a blur would get rid of this.

Also, perhaps a little curve on some of the names? The labels are a little angular at the moment, and a little curving of the text to fit the regions might help it blend in a little.

Well that's just because you asked for advice, but really what this map deserves is praise! You've done a great job. It looks lovely (and I'll turn a blind eye to your rivers flowing over hills and mountains just this once ).

There seems to be two mountain ranges called the "Vantas Mountains". Other than that, looks great!

Thanks for all the nice words and the valuable criticism. I havn't implemented all the changes yet, but plan to as soon as I can find the base Gimp file, which seems to be hiding at the moment.

Anyway, here's a more updated version.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southcit3.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	11154  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The orange fonts are country names, right? Are you putting in some borders? If you are, I'd keep em thin...this looks too awesome to clunk it up with thick borders
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The orange fonts are country names, right? Are you putting in some borders? If you are, I'd keep em thin...this looks too awesome to clunk it up with thick borders
    To be honest I never really use borders. I'm not sure if the reasons are in character (ie the area is early pre-medievil and the borders would probably not have been clearly delineated) or OOC (because I really haven't hit upon a good way of depicting borders. You recommend thin borders, but how thin is thin?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Torq, great map! I wanted to rep ya but it would not allow me. I don't see and river issues either, at least non that the river police would get upset at, but one thing I did pick up was that your rivers all seem like they flow through hills when some of them should maybe be a little straighter, if ya know what I mean. Rivers that flow through flat land should be a little straighter than those that don't. Although with no scale on the map, I could be off my rocker! Again though, just a nice piece of art.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Wonderful map. Looks immensely professional, as always. /repped

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast