Hello everyone!

This is my first post, and my official "defense", heh.

These are my first two maps that I would consider "cartography," period. They are also my first two attempts at using Dunjinni software, or photoshop, for that matter. I don't have any official training or proficiency with PS - so I am a complete n00b in this arena. You can see my other artwork on my website (use the link above). The only art I have done until now has been unplugged, with paints, brushes, etc.

Having said that, I agree completely with the criticism so far. At the time that I created the upper floor in particular, I had Dundjinni for 3 days, and I simply didn't have any other texture for any kind of swamp. Since then I have downloaded much of the user-created textures and png art. I never knew that folks even did that kind of work! I am in the very slow process of sorting through 500+ mb of images and textures - so it might be a while until I can use any of the spiffy stuff I have found.

I should also say that these maps are a mixture of Form and Function. That is, I initially made them for use with d20pro virtual tabletop software, for my D&D campaign. So I knew that my group would only explore the interior of the moathouse, not the swamp. It simply didn't warrant any extra time on my part. That, and I think my players would have me committed for spending 10+ hours on a map that we use for 2 hours, max...

The water transition: Kepli is right - feathering is not an option in Dundjinni. To do the same with photoshop and my limited understanding of the software, I would have to create 2 separate images and feather them into each other? Right now, Dundjinni is limited to 32x40 squares per map, and I had to stitch 2 maps together pre-photoshop. I don't think that I'm talented enough to blend it much better without more textures (and those are coming one day!).

I thank you all for your advice and feedback. I will use your suggestions with further maps. I'm just happy to have folks looking at my work with trained and talented eyes.